Savannah State University
College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
Department of Social Work
“SMART, BOLD, PROUD: SERIOUSLY IMPRESSIVE”
POLICY ANALYSIS PAPER TWO GUIDELINES
SOWK 4410: IMPLEMENTATION OF SOCIAL WELFARE POLICY
MRS. Y. T. DUNCAN, INSTRUCTOR
All students will analyze a policy related to the framework and outline presented in your textbook: Popple and Leighninger (2015) – Chapter 2, pages 31-33. The policy should also be related to their field placement interest. The paper will require extensive research. This assignment will be divided into an initial and final draft (see below for the breakdown):
1. Topic Submission (Due Friday, March 02, 2018 at 11:59 pm)
Students are required to submit their topics for approval by the above deadline in the discussion area under “Topic for Policy Analysis Paper Two.” A list will be available of approved topics after the deadline.
2. Annotated Bibliography (Due Friday, March 16, 2018 at 11:59 pm)
Students are required to submit an annotated bibliography with a minimum of five peer-reviewed sources with summaries. More information regarding this assignment can be found under “Content” “Assignments” “Policy Analysis Paper Two.”
3. Part One (Due Friday, March 23, 2018 at 11:59pm)
Students are required to submit the following parts of their paper by the above deadline: Delineation and Overview of the Policy under Analysis (max of 2 pages), Historical Analysis (minimum of 2 pages), and Social Analysis (minimum of 2 pages). Comments will be given and should be reflected in the final submission of this paper. See “Paper Components” for guidance.
4. Part Two (Due Friday, March 30, 2018 at 11:59pm)
Students are required to submit the following parts of their paper by the above deadline: Economic Analysis (minimum of 2 pages), Political Analysis (minimum of 2 pages), Policy/Program Evaluation (max of 2 pages), and Current Proposals for Policy Reform (max of 2 pages). Comments will be given and should be reflected in the final submission of this paper. See “Paper Components” for guidance.
Final Submission of Paper
1. Final Submission of Paper (Due Sunday, April 08, 2018 at 11:59 pm)
Students are required to submit the final draft of the paper (with all components) by the deadline. The final draft should reflect the changes suggested during the initial draft process.
Paper Components [Social Welfare Policy Analysis (based Popple and Leighninger (2015)]
Policy analysis papers should include seven sections: delineation and overview of the policy under analysis, historical analysis, social analysis, economic analysis, political analysis, policy/program evaluation, and current proposals for policy reform. See Popple and Leighninger (2015) – Chapter 2, pages 31-33 for specifics regarding the sections. Follow the following APA Format/Writing Style guidelines:
1. APA Format/Writing Style
· Cover Page
· Table of Contents
· Page Numbers
· Sentence Structure (i.e, grammar spelling, sentence transitions, lengthy paragraphs)
· References Page (A minimum of fifteen references (including but not limited to article reviews, government reports, documents, public policy briefs, and book citations) are required. At a minimum, one book is required for the paper. Newspapers, internet sites such as Wikipedia, and non “peer” reviewed reference material will not be accepted for assignments.)
Students should follow the following directions regarding how to format their report:
1. The paper is to be prepared in Microsoft Word, double-spaced [ensure that “Before and After Spacing” (Click Home and Click Paragraph Settings) is set to zero (0)].
2. All margins are to be one inch.
3. The font should be 12 point and Times New Roman.
4. The paper should contain the following parts:
i. Title Page [see the American Psychological Association (APA) links below for format requirements];
ii. Table of Contents (see the APA links below for format requirements);
iii. Abstract (see the APA links below for format requirements);
iv. Report (see the APA links below for format requirements);
v. References Page (see the APA links below for format requirements);
vi. Appendix (see bullet number five and the APA links below for format requirements);
5. Create an appendix (optional);
6. Sub-headings are required for the assignment;
7. An abstract is required;
8. The length should be a minimum of ten complete, double-spaced pages (maximum of fifteen pages) (not including cover page, table of contents, abstract, references page, and appendix).
9. Use spell check, and proofread the paper carefully.
10. The paper must follow the APA guidelines. Some website resources are listed below:
i. APA Sample Paper: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/18/.
ii. APA General Format: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/.
iii. APA Appendix: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/670/05/.
11. Submit an electronic copy of the final report in the appropriate dropbox in Desire2Learn (D2L) by Sunday, April 08, 2018 at 11:59 pm. Failure to submit the assignment accordingly will result in a failing grade.
Note: Throughout your discussion, you may wish to use tables, graphs, and other visual aids to help display statistical dimensions of the policy issue you are analyzing. This will help you develop your ability to display statistical data in a useful form for lawmakers and others in the policy education process. Be sure to explain the implications or meaning of such visual aids in the text of your paper. Consult APA resources for proper style for Tables & Figures.
Additionally, extensive quotes are not allowed for this assignment. You can quote, periodically, to keep the spirit of the original work, but use them sparingly. Therefore, all work should be paraphrased and cited appropriately.
Students are strongly encouraged to seek writing assistance from the Smarthinking resource.
Hint: There are excellent books available in the library on many of the topics presented for policy analysis.
This assignment is worth 150 points of your overall grade: initial draft (50 points) and final draft (100 points). This paper will be submitted in parts to assist the students submit a final, well-written paper. Scholars may find that the process of writing the assignment is a major part of the cultural learning experience.
Grading Components for Policy Analysis Paper Two
While a point system is used to grade this assignment, emphasis will be placed on your ability to provide a critical analysis of the selected policy; ability to provide a detail discussion based on the questions posed in each section of the policy analysis outline (all questions should be addressed); ability to integrate knowledge and information related to social welfare, HBSE, practice, research, values and ethics, social and economic justice, and forms of discrimination.
There are two drafts for this assignment: the initial draft includes the topic submission, bibliography, part one, and part two, which sums to 50 points. The final submission of paper will be scored out of 100 points. The following tables contains the grading components for the paper:
|Topic Submission||10 points|
|Annotated Bibliography||10 points|
|Part One||15 points|
|Part Two||15 points|
Grading Rubric for Policy Analysis Paper Two
The grading rubric for the presentation is included on the following page (page 6) and included in the document entitled “SOWK 4410_Policy Analysis Paper Two_Writing Rubric.”
Policy Analysis Paper Two
Writing Scoring Rubric
Student’s Name: ______________________________________________________
Instructor: Mrs. Yvonne T. Duncan, MSW
Date Due: Various Deadlines (Initial Draft) | Sunday, April 08, 2018 (Final Submission of Paper)
Initial Draft Maximum Points Points Earned
Topic Submission 10 ____________
Annotated Bibliography 15 ____________
Part One 15 ____________
Part Two 15 ____________
Total 50 ____________
Final Submission of Paper
Delineation and Overview of the Policy
Under Analysis 10 ____________
Historical Analysis 14 ____________
Social Analysis 14 ____________
Economic Analysis 14 ____________
Political Analysis 14
Policy/Program Evaluation 14
Current Proposals for Policy Reform 10
APA Format/Writing Style 10 ____________
Total 100 ____________
GRAND TOTAL 150 ____________