After reading the case examples in the Myer and Conte (2006) article, you have a better understanding of how to use one type of assessment tool. A Microsoft Word copy of the Triage Assessment Form (TAF) is included in the assignment Resources. The most current version of this form is also shown in your James and Gilliland (2017) text, pages 60–64. Use the form to analyze one of the cases, either Ariadne or Jordan, described below. You can save the form as you have completed it as a MS Word document or as a PDF document, and attach the form to your written paper as an appendix.
Rate the client in each of the three domains (Affective, Behavioral, and Cognitive) using the Severity Scale included with each domain on the Triage Assessment Form (TAF) and total the scores. Describe, in detail, the rationale for your ratings, including your judgment about how intense and directive the treatment should be based upon the total score. In your discussion of the rationale, summarize diagnostic skills and techniques that can be used to screen for addiction, aggression, and danger to self and others, as you note these risks in your client. Similarly, a possible co-occurring mental disorder (such as substance abuse) may become apparent during a crisis, disaster, or other trauma-causing event that ties in with your assessment during the client’s crisis. Note this in your rationale to address the impact of crisis and trauma on individuals with mental health diagnoses.
To successfully complete this project, you will be expected to:
- Complete the Triage Assessment Form appropriately for the selected case, including all three domains, with clinical descriptions to guide the course of treatment by evaluating the domain ratings with a logical and articulate rationale of key elements of the crisis, disaster, or trauma-causing events, including the nature of the crisis and associated risks, and client and counselor safety.
- Summarize diagnostic skills and techniques that can be used to screen for addiction, aggression, and danger to self and others, as you note these risks in your client.
- Note a co-occurring mental disorder (such as substance abuse or depression), which may become apparent during a crisis, disaster, or other trauma-causing event that ties in with your assessment during the client’s crisis.
- Differentiate characteristics of crisis states versus developmentally appropriate reactions to life obstacles and crisis assessment and intervention strategies for diverse populations.
- Exhibit proficiency in effective, credible academic writing, and critical thinking skills.
Case of Ariadne:
Ariadne, a 17-year-old Hispanic female, ran away from home. The police returned her to her home, but within a week Ariadne had attempted suicide by taking her father’s prescription medication for high blood pressure. Ariadne had been showing signs of depression and was seen for mental health counseling a year previously for eight sessions. After receiving counseling, Ariadne stated that she felt unuseful at home and unwelcome at school. Feelings of worthlessness and anger arose periodically when her parents tried to engage her about school events. Ariadne had several close friends and one young man she called her “beau,” though she claimed there was no serious intimacy between them. She refused to return to counseling sessions, saying that the time was better spent talking with her friends. She complained that her parents were too strict with curfew times and asked too many questions. In the past week, Ariadne was discovered to skip school two days and refused to tell her parents where she had been. Ariadne’s mother found a bottle of pills and a bottle of vodka in her room.
**Headings to use in paper**
Using the Triage Assessment Form
Include the title of your paper centered at the top of the page, not bolded; it is not considered a heading. *This first section is your paper’s introduction.
Triage Assessment of the Client
Complete the Triage Assessment Form for the selected case, including all three domains and the total score. In this section of the paper, summarize the results and provide a logical and articulate rationale for each of the domain ratings with specific descriptions of each, by relating the specifics of the case to the ratings you determine. There is detail about using the TAF in Chapter 3 of your text, as well as the assigned Myer and Conte article. Use appropriate terminology, such as the psychobiological assessment found in Chapter 3 of your text, and language found in the TAF Severity Scales, to guide the course of treatment based upon your total score.
Diagnostic Skills and Techniques
Elaborate on diagnostic skills and techniques that can be used to screen for addiction, aggression, and danger to self and others, as well as co-occurring mental disorders during a crisis, such as the Hybrid Model and the ABC’s of Assessing Crisis Intervention found in Chapter 3 of your text. Discuss what counseling skills you use in a triage assessment of this client.