NR 503 Week 8 – Health Policy and Ethics
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
1. Inspect the relationship between environment and global health (CO5).
2. Appraise global health problems considering WHO SDG’s as well as related epidemiological data (CO5).
1. Go to your state (FLORIDA) government web page. Find one health policy enacted within the last two (2) years at the state level. Write down the bill number and the sponsors of the bill and include this information in your initial post.
2. Write a minimum of a one-page critical analysis summary of the policy. (250 words double spaced, APA). Your summary should integrate the concepts of advocacy, population health, and the ANA ethical statements (“The Code”), and course readings (will include at the bottom), to include a minimum of one course scholarly article (provided within the course). Be sure to speak to the role of advocacy and population health.
3. Respond to a minimum of two (2) peers/faculty posts with one (1) paragraph of 4-5 sentences integrating one scholarly source utilized in an in-text citation/APA.
**To see view the grading criteria/rubric, please click on the 3 dots in the box at the end of the solid gray bar above the discussion board title and then Show Rubric.
Fawcett, J. & Ellenbecker, H. C. (2015). A proposed conceptual model of nursing and population health. Nursing Outlook, 63(3), 288-298.
Vakkalanka, P. J., Hardison, S. L. & Holstege, C. P. (2014). Epidemiological trends in electronic cigarette exposures reported to U.S. poison centers. Clinical Toxicology, 52, 542-548.
Marmot, M. (2017) Social justice, epidemiology and health inequalities. European Journal of Epidemiology, 32; 537-536.
Levy, N. (2018). Legal issues…patient advocacy and the nursing role. CINAHL Nursing Guide. EBSCO Publishing.
Pearson, S. G. (2012). The concept of social justice for our psychiatric nursing practice. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care, 48, 185-186.
Meyer, H. I., Brown, T. N. T., Herman, L. J., Reisner, L. S, & Bocketing, O. W. (2017). Demographic characteristics and health status of transgender adults in select U.S. regions: Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2014. American Journal of Public Health, 107(4), 582-589.
Parikh, B., Mathai, A., Parikh, S., Sekbar, C., & Thomas, R. (2008). Understanding and using sensitivity, specificity, and predictive values. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, 56(1), 45-50
Subramaniam, S, Nirwana-Ima. S., Chin, K-Y. (2018). Performance of osteoporosis self-assessment tool (OST) in predicting osteoporosis-a review. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15, 1445.
Arbach, K. & Bobbio, A. (2018). Intimate partner violence risk assessment in community health facilities: A multisite longitudinal study. Psychosocial Intervention, 27(2), 105-112.
Holst, C., Tolstrup, S. J., Sorensen, J. & Becker, U. (2017). Alcohol dependence and risk of somatic diseases and mortality: a cohort study in 19002 men and women attending alcohol treatment. Society for the Study of Addiction 112, 1358-1366.
Erie, C. J., Pueringer, R. M., Brue, M. S., Chamberlain. M. A. & Hodge, O. D. (2016). Statin use and incident cataract surgery: A case-control study. Ophthalmic Epidemiology, 23(1), 40-45.
Moukaddem, A., Chaaya, M., Jaffa, M., Sibai, A., Slim, Z., & Uthman, I. (2017). Fibromyalgia: Epidemiology and risk factors, a population-based case-control study in Lebanon. International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases, 20(2), 169-176.
Gawlik, K., Melnyk, B., & Tan, A. (2018). An epidemiological study of population health reveals social smoking as a major cardiovascular risk factor. American Journal of Health Promotion, 32(5), 1221-1227.
Resource: American Academy of Nursing: Vulnerable Populations http://www.aannet.org/initiatives/edge-runners/vulnerable-populations (Links to an external site.)
Gonzalez, M. K., et al. (2018). The healthcare of vulnerable populations within rural societies: A systematic review. Online Journal of Rural Nursing & Health Care, 18(1), 112-147.
Morgan, A. S. & Stokes, L. (2017). Overcoming marginalization in the transgender community. American Nurse Today, 12(5), 34-35.
Law, K. & John, W. (2012). Homelessness as culture: How transcultural nursing theory can assist caring for the homeless. Nurse Education in Practice, 12, 371-374.
Belsky, W. D., Moffitt, E. T., & Caspi, A. (2013). Genetics in population health science: Strategies and opportunities. American Journal of Public Health, 103(1), S73-S83.
Angelini, K. (2017). Climate change, health, and the role of nurses. Nursing for Women’s Health, 21(2), 79-83.
Kurth, E. A. (2017). Planetary health and the role of nursing: A call to action. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 49(6), 598-605.
Kooienga, A. S. & Carryer, B. J. (2015). Globalization and advancing primary health care nurse practitioner practice. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 11(8), 804-811.