over Letter, Resume, and Portfolio
NURS 6660 PMH Nurse Practitioner Role I: Child and Adolescent
February 3, 2019
Personal Philosophy Statement
Patient care is complex system that is delivered by a multidisciplinary team. Its success requires perfect harmony between the all the involving members. It is vital that the care we deliver as healthcare professional is patient – centered. Therefore, it is important to know the population that we are serving, its needs and its cultural background. In the United States more than any other country, healthcare providers should develop their cultural awareness and competence.
The stigma around the mental illness and the quality of treatment that mentally ill individuals receive have inspired me to become a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner (PMHNP). I have felt the necessity to stand up and do what is right as my contribution to fix this urgent issue. In our society, physical or medical diseases provoke empathy, but we demonstrate disdain for people impacted by mental conditions. Like we always say, “See it and fix it”. So, passivity is as wrong as the wrong doing.
As a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner, I will have the opportunity to care for a multicultural population with different conceptions or point of view about mental health. It is my role and responsibility to understand the cultural differences and provide support to those in need. I have learned that in the healthcare system, we should not be judgmental. My personal philosophy is to treat each and every patient as I would like to be treated. It is a moral obligation to use my knowledge to serve and educate individuals in my community. As a healthcare professional, I believe that I have the capability to change to way mentally ill individuals are viewed and treated. Through my philosophy, I will be able to advocate for holistic and empathic care for individuals with mental health conditions.
Self – Assessment
I have decided to transition from registered nurse (RN) to psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner (PMHNP) to better serve my community. So, I have always said and believe that the more someone has the he/she can give. When I decided to go back to school to pursue my goal, I said to myself “I have to choose one of the best schools”. Finally, I have chosen Walden University that I believe meet my expectations. For my Practicum, I have chosen the Compass Health System which has been established in the South Florida since 1990, and it is well respected in the community. They offer their services through their offices and most of the hospital with mental health crisis. They are one the major teaching facilities in mental health in the South Florida.
I have selected preceptors who have been working with Compass Health System for several years. So, they acquired a very solid experience in the field. I have taken great advantage of their experience to strengthen my assessment skills to evaluate children adolescents and adults with mental health issues. Because they see patients in office and hospitals, I have been able to learn different approaches for individuals in crisis and non-crisis setting. I have built confidence in my ability to appropriately evaluate, diagnose and treat patient using pharmacologic therapy and non-pharmacologic therapy. I have no doubt in my mind that I am ready to deliver holistic and empathic care for individuals in my community regardless of their cultural background.
Short – term goals
· Become a certified psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner.
· Join one of the institutions that aim to provide the best quality of care for mentally ill individuals in my community.
· Strengthen my ability to accurately diagnose mental health conditions and communicate effective with patients and/or significant others about the condition and all the possible treatment options.
· Become a voice for those in my community who are affected by mental health disorders.
Long – term goals
· Enroll in a doctorate program to complete my DNP as psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner.
· Engage in the fight to change the way mentally ill individuals are viewed and treated in my community.
· At the age of 24 I graduated with honor “Cum Laude” with a bachelor’s in agriculture from a prestigious school in the Dominican Republic.
· I worked for CECI in a joint project with the Haitian government for a period of 8 years.
· After entered to the United States in 2009, I decided to pursue my dream in the Healthcare System. And, I graduated in 2014 with “High Honor” with associate degree at Miami Dade College.
· I stated my career in nursing at the Memorial Healthcare System in a “Respiratory Specialty Unit”.
· In December 2015, I completed my bachelor’s degree in nursing.
· I transitioned to a Telemetry Unit at North Shore Medical Center.
· I have been working as psychiatric nurse for 2 ½.
· I am hoping to become certified psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner by the mid of this year.
1200 NE 200 St, Miami, Fl33179 · Phone: 786-9913495
Mrs. Marie Jones
Human resources director
Jackson Memorial Hospital
|1005, 1611 NW 12th Ave,
Miami, FL 33136
Dear Marie Jones,
My name is Toussaint Casimir, board certified psychiatric nurse practitioner. As I was always fascinated by the mission of your prestigious institution, so I found this opening position for an experienced and dedicated Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner a welcoming opportunity. Even though I have been recently graduated as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, I have two long years and half of experiences working with mental health patients as a registered nurse. Before I transitioned to the mental health, I started my career of nursing in a “respiratory care unit” at Memorial Healthcare system. During my two years and half of mental health experience in 40 – bed locked unit, I have learned the appropriate time to initiate communication with patients in crises, how to convey empathy and develop trustworthy relationship with patients, how to assess and accurately produce the mental status evaluation, and to provide a safe environment not only for patients but also for all staff. Thanks to my background, I strongly believe that I can contribute to the success of your institution. I urge you to have a close look to the following skills and qualities that your institution can benefit by hire over any other candidate: Over the time, I have strived to become as culturally sensitive and competent as a healthcare provider can be. Furthermore, I speak and write fluently English, Spanish, French and Haitian creole. I have learned to deliver the best quality of care to individuals enduring all sorts of mental health conditions, like PTSD, ADHD, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, dementia, and anxiety. I have learned to be a leader, a team player, a great communicator, and an advocate for the cause of the voiceless. Achieving a Master of Science in Nursing with a concentration in Mental Health Nursing from the Walden university has strengthen problem-solving, critical thinking abilities. And, through a full year of practicum with highly respected and experienced doctors, I have learned to evaluate, diagnose, and treat patients with all kinds of mental health disorders. I greatly value the interest that you have demonstrated in my profile. I hope I can be considered for an interview to better explain at what extent I can contribute to the success of your institution. And, I am looking forward to learning more about your expectations. Feel free to contact me at your convenience through my cellphone: 786-991-3495 or email: email@example.com. Best regards, Toussaint Casimir
Toussaint Casimir, RN, BSN
1200 NE 200 St., Miami FL 33179
Phone: (786)991-3495/ (305)974-2863
Obtain a position in an institution where I can successfully implement my nursing skills and knowledge to provide individuals in my community with the best quality of care possible. And, advocate on behalf of the voiceless.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
· Licensure: Registered Nurse (Florida Board of Nursing)
· Certification: CPR; CPI; and 12 lead EKG
· Computer Skills: Microsoft Office
· Languages: English: spoken, read and written
Spanish: spoken, read and written
French: spoken, read and written
Haitian Creole: spoken, read and written
|Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) – Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Walden University, Minnesota
|2017 – 2019|
|RN – BSN GPA 3.65/4.0
Miami Dade College, Benjamin Leon School of Nursing, Florida
|Jan – Dec 2015|
|Registered Nurse (A.S.) GPA 3.70/4.0
Miami Dade College, Benjamin Leon School of Nursing, Florida
|2013 – 2014|
|Agricultural Engineer GPA 3.6/4.0
Instituto Superior de Agricultura (ISA) Dom. Rep.
|1996 – 2000|
|North Medical Center (Behavior Health Unit)
· Complete patient’s assessment/evaluation to determine eligibility for acute inpatient, assess patients for depression and suicidal/homicidal thoughts, and communicate effectively with the multidisciplinary care team.
|Nov 2016 – Present|
|North Medical Center (Telemetry Unit)
· Complete patient care assessment, evaluation, and medication review, including baseline vital signs within 4 hours of assigned patients’ admission.
|April 2016 – Nov 2016|
|Memorial Hospital Pembroke (Respiratory Specialty Care Unit)
· Provides direct patient care in accordance with applicable scope and standards of practice and with the policies, values, and mission of the organization.
· Initiates patients care plan within 24 hours of admission, establishes nursing diagnosis, intervention and measurable outcomes in collaboration with physician, patient, family and staff.
|Feb 2015 – May 2016|
|Green Cross Home Health Care services, Miami, Fl.
· Provide care for clients including tracheostomy care, gastrostomy care, tube feeding, wound care, medication administration and pain management.
|Valet Parking, Brickell Town House
· Assist people especially elderly in get in and out of their cars.
· Use of excellent communication skills to receive and assist visitors and residents.
· Assist people with special need in and out wheel chair.
|July 2009 – Feb 2015|
Nursing Clinical Experience (12 Months)
|Compass Health System||· Evaluate patients with metal health condition.|
|· Assess patients for depression, SI/HI and visual/auditory hallucinations.
· Lead individual psychotherapy under the supervision of a preceptor.
|Compass Health System||· Assess patients with a great range of mental health conditions.
· Determine the with group each patient would best fit in.
|· Lead group and family psychotherapy under the supervision of a preceptor.|
|Compass Health System||· Provide care and teaching for mentally ill pediatric patients.|
|· Work closely with a preceptor to evaluate and assess patients’ mental status.
· Determine the needs for hospitalization treatment.
· Together with a preceptor evaluate the effective, the to adjust or switch psychotropic medications for children and adolescents.
1. Scott Segal, MD (Psychiatrist)
Compass Health System,
2. Richard Douyon, MD (Pychiatrist)
North Shore Medical Center (Medical director)
3. Melaine Burnettgrizzle
North Shore Medical Center, Unit Director
CPR; CPI; and 12 lead EKG
|***Transcript type:Web is NOT Official ***|
|In Progress:||Master of Science in Nursing|
|Program:||MS in Nursing (MSN) – PMH- BSN|
|Specialization/Conc:||Psychiatric Mental Hlth Nur NP|
|Attempted Hours||Earned Hours||GPA Hours||Points||GPA|