40. To conform to the HIPAA Privacy Rule, which of the following safeguards must be maintained in health care facilities?
A. Immunization and injection safeguards B. Reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards C. ICD-7 provisional safeguards D. Hazardous waste protection safeguards
41. A patient sustains a fracture of the femur while playing football in a nearby park. What ICD-10-CM code would be assigned?
A. S72.001A B. S72.009A C. S72.003A D. S49.006A
42. According to the guidelines for medical records outlined in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), patients
A. have the right to have errors reviewed by a hospital administrator. B. have the right to correct errors in identification data only. C. have the right to have errors in their medical records corrected. D. do not have the right to have errors corrected, as the data has been previously verified by the physician.
43. Modifier -23 indicates that
A. two surgeons performed a procedure. B. a procedure was performed bilaterally. C. a physician reviewed and interpreted a radiology procedure. D. the patient received general anesthesia for a procedure that would ordinarily be performed with local or no anesthesia.
44. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) was created for the purpose of
A. streamlining claims processing and reducing paperwork through electronic transmission. B. stabilizing administrative costs and productivity. C. decreasing employee turnover and reducing the volume of new hire paperwork. D. modifying legal and ethical issues surrounding medical records retention.
45. A patient is seen in the emergency room complaining of abdominal pain in the left lower quadrant. It’s determined that the patient is experiencing inflammation of the pancreas, which is also called
A. pancreaticoduodonal arcade. B. pancreatitis. C. pancreatolysis. D. pancreatonia.
46. A 55-year-old patient was injured while working as a carpenter on a construction site. While framing the roof of a two-story house, he fell and hit his head. He was diagnosed with a concussion to the left side of his head, and underwent a right frontal parietal craniotomy with removal of a subdural hematoma. During the patient’s period of recovery, he was given a medication that resulted in a rash on his abdomen. The physician conducted an expanded problem focused history and exam, with straightforward medical decision making. What CPT code(s) should be assigned?
A. 99251 B. 99252 C. 99292, 99291 D. 99253
47. Taking certain steps to protect PHI from being accidentally released to individuals who don’t need to know the information is called the
A. minimum necessary standard. B. privacy management statute. C. health information guardianship guideline. D. information provision standard.
48. The main term represents the most basic aspect of a disease or condition. For example, the main term of a diagnosis involving a broken arm is
A. broken. B. break. C. fracture. D. arm.
49. Performing a daily check for viruses and malware is one of the
A. requirements of the Help Desk. B. routine aspects of software maintenance. C. sensible guidelines for Internet use in health care facilities. D. functions of HIM encoders.
50. A coder overhears a confidential statement made outside of the court, and then, when called to testify, repeats the statement as being truth. This is an example of
A. cross-examination. B. hearsay. C. speculation. D. a direct quote.
51. A patient receives two venous pressure clamps for hemodialysis. What HCPCS Level II code is assigned?
A. A4751 B. A4751 × 2 C. A4918 × 2 D. A4918
52. The process of removing tissue for histopathology is called
A. shaving. B. debridement. C. excision. D. biopsy.