TRUE/FALSE. Write ‘T’ if the statement is true and ‘F’ if the statement is false.
1) By their very nature, projects have a limited lifetime, and that sets project management apart from the management of more traditional activities.
2) Every network has at least one critical path. 2)
3) One responsibility of a project manager is to make sure that the project meets its quality goals. 3)
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
4) Ethical issues that may arise in projects large and small include
A) exaggerated expense reports
B) compromised safety or health standards to save time or reduce costs
C) gifts from contractors
D) pressure to mask delays with false status reports
E) all of the above
5) Which of the following statements regarding Gantt charts is true?
A) Gantt charts are expensive.
B) Gantt charts give a timeline and precedence relationships for each activity of a project.
C) Gantt charts use the four standard spines of Methods, Materials, Manpower, and
D) Gantt charts are visual devices that show the duration of activities in a project.
E) All of the above are true.
6) Which of the following statements regarding critical paths is true?
A) On a specific project, there can be multiple critical paths, all with exactly the same
B) Some activities on the critical path may have slack.
C) The duration of the critical path is the average duration of all paths in the project
D) The shortest of all paths through the network is the critical path.
E) Every network has only one critical path.
7) A project organization that becomes permanent is often referred to as a __________.
A) fixed project organization
B) standard organization
C) matrix organization
D) normal organization
E) none of the above
8) The expected activity time in PERT analysis is calculated as
A) the simple average of the optimistic, pessimistic, and most likely times
B) the weighted average of a, m, and b, with m weighted 4 times as heavily as a and b
C) the sum of the optimistic, pessimistic, and most likely times, divided by six
D) the sum of the activity variances, divided by six
E) the sum of the optimistic, pessimistic, and most likely times
9) A simple CPM network has three activities, A, B, and C. A is an immediate predecessor of B
and of C. B is an immediate predecessor of C. The activity durations are A=4, B=3, C=8.
A) The critical path cannot be determined without knowing PERT expected activity times.
B) The network has no critical path.
C) The critical path is A-C, duration 12.
D) The critical path is A-B-C, duration 15.
E) The critical path is A-B-C, duration 13.5
10) An activity on a PERT network has these time estimates: optimistic = 1, most likely = 2, and
pessimistic = 5. Its expected time is
E) none of these
11) The time an activity will take assuming very unfavorable conditions is
A) the activity variance
B) exactly twice as long as the expected time
C) the pessimistic time
D) the optimistic time
E) the minimum time
12) Which of the following statements regarding PERT times is true?
A) The probable time estimate is calculated as t = (a + 4m + b).
B) Most likely time estimate is an estimate of the maximum time an activity will require.
C) The optimistic time estimate is an estimate of the maximum time an activity will require.
D) Pessimistic time estimate is an estimate of the minimum time an activity will require.
E) The optimistic time estimate is an estimate of the minimum time an activity will require.
ESSAY. Write your answer in the space provided or on a separate sheet of paper.
13) A project being analyzed by PERT has 60 activities, 13 of which are on the critical path. If the estimated
time along the critical path is 214 days with a project variance of 100, the probability that the project will
take 224 days or more to complete is
14) The critical path for the network activities shown below is __________ with duration __________.
A 4 —
B 2 A
C 7 —
D 4 A
E 5 B,C,D