This a 3 part Question a Case, SLP and Threaded Discussion.
Module 5 – Case
Hypothesis testing and type errors
Problems need to include all required steps and answer(s) for full credit. All answers need to be reduced to lowest terms where possible.
Answer the following problems showing your work and explaining (or analyzing) your results.
- Explain Type I and Type II errors. Use an example if needed.
- Explain a one-tailed and two-tailed test. Use an example if needed.
- Define the following terms in your own words.
- Null hypothesis
- Critical value
- Statistically significant
- A homeowner is getting carpet installed. The installer is charging her for 250 square feet. She thinks this is more than the actual space being carpeted. She asks a second installer to measure the space to confirm her doubt. Write the null hypothesis Ho and the alternative hypothesis Ha.
- Drug A is the usual treatment for depression in graduate students. Pfizer has a new drug, Drug B, that it thinks may be more effective. You have been hired to design the test program. As part of your project briefing, you decide to explain the logic of statistical testing to the people who are going to be working for you.
- Write the research hypothesis and the null hypothesis.
- Then construct a table like the one below, displaying the outcomes that would constitute Type I and Type II error.
- Write a paragraph explaining which error would be more severe, and why.
- Cough-a-Lot children’s cough syrup is supposed to contain 6 ounces of medicine per bottle. However since the filling machine is not always precise, there can be variation from bottle to bottle. The amounts in the bottles are normally distributed with σ = 0.3 ounces. A quality assurance inspector measures 10 bottles and finds the following (in ounces):
Are the results enough evidence to conclude that the bottles are not filled adequately at the labeled amount of 6 ounces per bottle?
- State the hypothesis you will test.
- Calculate the test statistic.
- Find the P-value.
- What is the conclusion?
- Calculate a Z score when X = 20, μ = 17, and σ = 3.4.
- Using a standard normal probabilities table, interpret the results for the Z score in Problem 7.
- Your babysitter claims that she is underpaid given the current market. Her hourly wage is $12 per hour. You do some research and discover that the average wage in your area is $14 per hour with a standard deviation of 1.9. Calculate the Z score and use the table to find the standard normal probability. Based on your findings, should you give her a raise? Explain your reasoning as to why or why not.
- Tutor O-rama claims that their services will raise student SAT math scores at least 50 points. The average score on the math portion of the SAT is μ = 350 and σ = 35. The 100 students who completed the tutoring program had an average score of 385 points. Is the average score of 385 points significant at the 5% level? Is it significant at the 1% level? Explain why or why not.
Module 5 – SLP
Hypothesis testing and type errors
Welcome to the final SLP. In this assignment, you will use regression and ANOVA to analyze your data. Write a 2- to 4-page paper summarizing the following points.
1. Take your data and arrange it in the order you collected it. Count the total number of observations you have, and label this number N. Then create another set of data starting from one and increasing by one until you reach N. For example, if you have 10 observations, then your new set of data would be (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10). This set of data is called a time series. Run a regression using your original set of data as your dependent variable, and your time series as an independent variable. Go to the following site (using Google or Firefox) to calculate your regression: http://www.meta-calculator.com/online/?panel-403-regression-input. What is the regression equation? Interpret and explain your results.
2. Divide your data in half (or into two groups of 8 or less). Then use ANOVA to test if there is a significant difference between the two halves of your data. Use this site to input your data (http://statpages.org/anova1sm.html). Interpret and explain your results.
Summarize your conclusions at the end of the paper.
Submit your paper at the end of module 5.
SLP Assignment Expectations
Answer all questions posted in the instructions. Use information from the modular background readings and videos as well as any good-quality resource you can find. Cite all sources in APA style and include a reference list at the end of your paper.
Note about page length: Your ability to clearly articulate and explain these concepts is being assessed. The page length is a general guideline. A 3- or 4-page paper does not necessarily guarantee a grade of “A.” An “A” paper would include detailed information and explanations of all the assignment requirements listed above. The letter grade will be based upon demonstrated mastery of the content and ability to articulate and apply the concepts in the assignment. Keep this in mind while writing your paper.
Regression is a commonly used technique in business. What is the purpose of regression? Provide two examples of situations in business where regression may be useful. Review your peers’ posts and identify the independent and dependent variables in their examples.