Module 4 Assignments
For this module you are required to complete the following assignments:
· Chapter 7: Exercises: #1, 2, 3, 5 and 9
1. What properties set a local area network apart from other forms of networks?
2. Describe an example of broadband bus system.
3. Is a hub a passive device or an active device? Explain.
5. If a network were described as 1000BaseT, list everything you would know about that network.
9. How is a hub similar to a switch? How are they different?
Thinking Outside the Box #1
A retail department store is approximately square, 35 meters (100 feet) on each side. Each wall has two entrances equally spaced apart. Located at each entrance is a point-of-sale cash register. Suggest a local area network solution that interconnects all eight cash registers. Draw a diagram showing the room, the location of each cash register, the wiring, the switches, and the server. What type of wiring would you suggest?
· Chapter 8: exercises # 1, 5, 7, 11 and 13
1. Skip this exercise.
5. Your company wants to create a wireless network for the entire office building. The building is 10 stories high and the company wants to incorporate IEEE 802.11a by placing one access point on the tenth floor. Will this layout work? Explain.
7. In a client server system, a client transmit a request to a server, the server performs a processing operation, and the server returns a result. List all the possible problems that can occur with transmission in this scenario.
11. Windows Server 2000/2003/2008 uses Active Directory for its directory service, and NetWare/OES uses NDS. How are the two directory services alike? How are they different?
13. In what ways are UNIX and Linux similar? In what ways are they different?
Thinking Outside the Box #3
You are creating a network at home that consists of multiple computers, a high quality printer, and a router with access to a high-speed internet connections. Surely you do not need Windows server 2008 or OES/NetWare, but is there a particular desktop operating system that can be installed on each computer that will optimize the operations of your home network?