nd Growth Unit Test
Unit Test, Part 2: Change and Growth
Complete this teacher-scored portion of the Unit Test and submit it to your teacher by the due date for full credit.
1. Was Andrew Jackson a great president? Opinions are mixed. What is yours? Consider the words that Jackson biographer James Parton wrote in 1859:
“Andrew Jackson, I am given to understand, was a patriot and a traitor. He was one of the greatest of generals, and wholly ignorant of the art of war… He was the most candid of men, and was capable of the profoundest dissimulation… A democratic autocrat [dictator]. An urbane [sophisticated] savage. An atrocious [awful] saint.”
Now write a well-constructed essay of your own about the quality of the Jackson presidency. Be sure to start with a clear thesis statement and then give specific examples of events and issues to support your position.
2. American life changed dramatically during the first part of the nineteenth century. The United States’ economy changed from a subsistence economy to a market economy. What does that mean and why did it happen?
Write a well-constructed essay that:
· Explains the difference between a subsistence economy and a market economy.
· Explains the reasons why the shift to a market economy occurred.
· Briefly describes the adjustments in manufacturing, agriculture, transportation, and communication that took place in each section of the country during this period.
Which of these changes and innovations helped unite the country and why?
|Your Score||___ of 30|
© 2008 K12 Inc. All rights reserved. Page 1 of 1
Copying or distributing without K12’s written consent is prohibited.