· Answer the following question: What is meant by the net realizable value for accounts receivable?
· Answer the following question: Describe what is meant by the term “goodwill.”
Exercise 7-13 A Effect of credit card sales on financial statements
Ultra-Dry Spa provided $120,000 of services during 2016. All customers paid for the services with credit cards. Ultra-submitted the credit card receipts to the credit card company immediately. The credit card company paid Ultra cash in the amount of face value less a 5 percent service charge.
a. Record the credit card sales and the subsequent collection of accounts receivable in a horizontal statements model like the one shown here. In the Cash Flow column, indicate whether the item is an operating activity (OA), investing activity (IA), or financing activity (FA). Use NA to indicate that an element is not affected by the event.
|Assets =Liab. = Equity||Rec. – Exp. = Net Inc.||Cash Flow|
|Cash + Acct. Rec.|
b. Based on this information above, answer the following questions:
(1) What is the amount of total assets at the end of the accounting period?
(2) What is the amount of revenue reported on the income statement?
(3) What is the amount of cash flow from operating activities reported on the statement of cash flow?
(4) What cost would a business incur if it maintained its own accounts receivable? What cost does a business incur by accepting credit cards?
Exercise 8-9 A Events related to the acquisition, use, and disposal of a tangible plant asset: straight -line depreciation
City Taxi Service purchased a new auto to use as a taxi o January 1, 2016, for $36,000. In addition, City paid sales tax and title fees $1,200 for the vehicle. The taxi is expected to have a five-year life and a salvage value of $4,000.
a. Using the straight -line method, compute the depreciation expense for 2016 and 2017.
b. Prepare the general journal entry to record the 2016 depreciation.
c. Assume that the taxi was sold on January 1, 2018, for $22,000. Prepare the journal entry for the sale of the taxi in 2018.
Problems 8-34A Accounting for intangible assets
Mitre Company acquired Midwest Transportation Co. for $1,400,000. The fair market values of the assets acquired were as follows. No liabilities were assumed.
Franchise (10-year life) 40,000
a. Calculate the amount of goodwill acquired.
b. Prepare journal entry to record the amortization of the franchise fee at the end of year 1.