Imagine that you are a resident of Ashfordton, a community whose characteristics are described below. You have come together with your neighbors for a special meeting to devise a plan for helping the community become carbon-neutral by 2050, meaning that by that time, no net carbon dioxide emissions will be produced by residents as a whole.
Fortunately, you have all showed up to the meeting with lots of knowledge you gained from last week’s class discussion. Now it is time to put your thinking cap on and get to work! Your plan should consist of the following elements:
· Energy conservation measures (e.g., promoting carpooling by adding special lanes to local highways) and
· Steps to move toward sustainable energy production (e.g., installing solar panels on town government buildings)
Reducing energy consumption will help, but some actions will have to involve switching to other power sources for buildings and vehicles as well.
This week’s discussion will take place in an online app called “Tricider.” There, you will be able to post your ideas for plan components, and also share pros and cons of different proposals during the week. Finally, you will be able to vote on what you think should be in the plan.
For directions on how to use the Tricider app, please review the linked Help Guide . In Tricider, you will be expected to do the following:
· Post at least two separate and unique ideas. Include your full name for each one.
· Post at least six different pros and cons for your classmates’ proposed ideas.
· Vote on what you feel are the top three ideas in the list. (Do not vote before Friday.)
Please note: You are welcome to post questions and comments to this board for this instructor; however, this discussion board does not have any posting requirements of its own, and no additional credit will be given for posts made here.
Below, the Instructor will post both
· The Ashfordton description you will be using for this activity and
· The link you will be using to access Tricider for the activities below.
Avg. High Temp (Dec): 67oF
Avg. High Temp (June): 90oF
Annual Precipitation: 50 in.
Urban Area: 116 sq. mi.
Main Power Source: natural gas
The community of Ashfordton is located on the banks of the Bridgepoint River at an elevation close to sea level, in a flat landscape with pine forests and lakes. Not far from an ocean coast, the city is home to several military bases; its economy is also supported by business involved in banking, insurance, and healthcare. Winters are generally mild, while summers can be quite hot and humid.