1. a.What sentence is the topic sentence of the paragraph?
1 b. What sentence is unrelated to the topic and can be eliminated?
2. List four things to look for when you’re proofreading.
3. Complete the following two steps: a. Define the term cliché. b.Use a cliché in a sentence that you create.
4. Name and explain two types of prewriting.
5. Choose one of the prompts listed below. Write a five-sentence paragraph using chronological order to explain the steps that you would take to complete the task you select. Describe the steps you would take to: a. prepare for a test.
6. Choose one of the following topics. Write an eight-sentence paragraph that fully develops the topic. e. College is not for everyone.
Describe “Impressionism” as an artistic and musical style.
~Mention musical examples and composers that you select on which to base your ideas.
2. Refer to Chapter 49 – Listening Guide 41:
-After listening to Debussy’s Prelude to “The Afternoon of a Faun” (Prelude a “L’apres-midi d’un faune”) identify what best describes its rhythm/meter, expression, and performing forces.
3. List and describe five (5) musical elements innovative and characteristic of:
Early 20th Century music ~ Modernism
Refer to Chapter 52 – Listening Guide 44:
-After listening to Schoenberg’s Pierrot lunaire, Part III, No.18, identify what best describes its melody, rhythm/meter, and harmony.
• What do you consider “Expressionistic” about Alban Berg’s opera Wozzeck?
• What musical elements did Stravinsky use in the Rite of Spring to produce such a shocking reaction from some people in the audience?
5. Nationalism, Modernism, and Realism in the Americas:
• Describe each of these musical styles:
• Choose one (1) composer for each of these unique musical styles. Explain how each composer represents the corresponding style.
6. Refer to Chapter 60 – Listening Guide 54:
-After listening to Revueltas’ ”Noche de jaranas” from La Noche de los Mayas identify what best describes its melody, harmony, and performing forces.
7. ~Based on your readings and own research, describe the role of women in music from the turn of the century and throughout the 20th century.
~Refer to Part 6 – Chapter 54 of the textbook:
• Lili Boulanger (1893 – 1918)
• Post-Impressionism and the Prix de Rome
~“Women’s suffrage” – 19th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution (1920)
~Research, list and describe three (3) female musicians who are significant to the time.
8. ~List three (3) musical characteristics common to all jazz styles and describe in a brief paragraph these commonalities.
~List and describe three (3) African-American and three (3) European musical characteristics present in jazz music.
~Research three (3) Websites related to any of the topics and/or concepts that you found interesting and that we have covered in Lesson 5.
~For proper credit, provide the URL and then compose a brief description and summary of the information you learn from each Website.
~Refer to Listening Guide (LG) numbers:
o LG 41 – Debussy: Prelude to “The Afternoon of a Faun” (Prelude a “L’apres-midi d’un faune”)
o LG 44 – Schoenberg: Pierrot lunaire, Part III, No.18
o LG 45 – Stravinsky: “The Rite of Spring” (Le sacre du printemps), Part I, excerpts
o LG 46 – Boulanger: Psalm 24
o LG 47 – Berg: Wozzeck, Act III, scene 4, Interlude, scene 5
o LG 48 – Holiday: Billie’s Blues
o LG 49 – Strayhorn: Take the A Train by the Duke Ellington Orchestra
o LG 50 – Still: Suite for Violin and Piano, III
o LG 51 – Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue
o LG 52 – Ives: Country Band March
o LG 53 – Copland: Appalachian Spring, excerpts
o LG 54 – Revueltas: “Noche de jaranas” (“Night of Revelry” from La noche de los Mayas (The Night of the Mayas)
o LG 55 – Bartok: Interrupted Intermezzo, from Concerto for Orchestra
~Listen carefully to the compositions above as you pay close attention to these musical elements:
-Melody – Rhythm – Harmony – Texture – Form – Expression
~Categorize each of the compositions above into a particular musical genre.
~ Choose three (3) to analyze specifically.
~Critically examine and explain one (1) of the musical elements mentioned above that you find outstanding or representative for each of the three (3) compositions you selected.
~Compose a full paragraph for each of the three (3) compositions describing your impressions, analysis, thoughts, and ideas. Be sure to use musical terms, vocabulary, and concepts you have learned so far in this class.