ENG-105: Topic 6
First Draft of a Commentary Assignment
For this assignment, write a 750-1,000-word commentary that addresses a trend/topic related to ADHD.
This means that your essay should review a single trend related to ADHD. For instance, you could analyze one of the following trends (you are not limited to this list; these are suggestions):
· Increase in ADHD Diagnoses
· Impact of ADHD on a Child’s Schooling
· Impact of New ADHD Treatments
· Hidden Dangers of ADHD Medications
· The Reasoning Behind ADHD Awareness Week
· ADHD and the Zombie Phenomenon
· ADHD Drug Overdoses
This essay is NOT a summary of several different elements of ADHD. Rather, it is an analysis of a single trend related to ADHD, including various elements of that single trend.
Your review should include at least five scholarly sources outside of class texts.
1. Label or Identify the Subject: Provide the name for the trend and provide some context or background for the subject.
2. Explain the Subject: Find a pattern of meaning in the trend (e.g., speculate as to causes and effects of an event, compare with a similar case, or offer an example).
3. Make a Judgment/Offer an Opinion: Evaluate the trend using third person; offer praise or critique the trend, offering evidence to support your claims.
First Draft Grading
You will receive completion points for the first draft based upon the successful submission of your draft. Since instructor feedback for this draft is optional, you will need to consider feedback from peers and your self-review. You may also use the Center for Learning Advancement (CLA) and ThinkingStorm online tutoring services available at the following link for additional feedback: http://www.gcu.edu/Learning-Resources/Center-for-Learning-and-Advancement.php
The final draft of this assignment uses a grading rubric. Instructors will be using the rubric to grade the assignment; therefore, students should review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
Because your first draft is a completion grade, do not assume that this grade reflects or predicts the final grade.
Final Draft Grading
The final essay will be graded using a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations.
· Include in-text citations and a References page in GCU Style for at least FIVE scholarly sources outside of class texts.
· These sources should be used to support any claims you make.
· Use the GCU Library to help you find sources.
· Include this research in the paper in a scholarly manner.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the GCU Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
· You are required to submit this assignment to TurnItIn. Refer to the Turnitin Tutorial in the Student Success Center.
· Please be sure to review your TurnItIn score before submitting the draft to your instructor.
Submit this assignment to your instructor in the assignment drop box AND post this draft as an attachment in the Topic 6 Commentary Peer Review Forum by Day 3 of Week 6.
© 2014. Grand Canyon University. All Rights Reserved.