Assignment: D1 Funding of Public Education
Financing Public Schooling
Property Taxes vs. State Taxes
Property Tax – Based off of real estate value
1. What are some challenges with Property taxes as a source of school funding?
State Sales tax
2. What are some challenges with State taxes as a source of school funding?
State Income Tax
3. What are some challenges with State Income taxes as a source of school funding?
Assignment: D2 TSW analyze funding of public education
Following types of financial support for school choices. Pros and Cons for each.
1. State vouchers that any student can use to pay tuition in any accredited school, public or private.
2. Vouchers as in (a) but issued only to students whose families demonstrate financial need.
3. No vouchers for private or parochial schools, though students are free to choose any public schools they like.
Assignment: D3 Investigate legal foundations of equal opportunity in education.
SPED Teacher: If you are planning to become a special education teacher, how can you help your students who are included, fully or partially, in regular classrooms?
Assignment: D4 Investigate legal foundations of equal opportunity in education.
Enabling or Disabling?
On page 386 of the reading, two cases are presented. Address the following Questions.
1. What are the two extremes presented by these cases?
2. Do either of the two cases raises question or create concern for you considering you will be full participants in IEP meetings?
1. Which should be the center of curriculum, the student or the subject area?
2. What ae Pros and Cons of Subject-Centered Curricula?
3. What are Pros and Cons of Student-Centered Curricula?
4. In light of all of the factors which impact curriculum development. Greatest impact on decision making?
As educators, it is our obligation to understand curriculum and how it shapes our methodology. It is also our obligation to make distinctions between the types of curriculum we choose to improve instructions across classrooms and at the school level. Analyzing and posing questions about the purpose and delivery of curriculum is essential to becoming effective educators. After reading chapters 13-16 of the text and two articles, crate your own discussion prompt and responses following these instructions:
1. Pose a question (Not one from the pdf) and answer relating to the readings.