|English Language Learner Program Outcomes|
After reading Chapters 3 and 4 and the Linquanti article, Fostering Academic Success for English Language Learners: What Do We Know? (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. – select at least four bilingual programs and describe the type of student that would benefit most from each type of bilingual program. What are the student characteristics that make them amenable to a specific type of bilingual program?
Week 2 – Discussion 2
|Levels of Language Acquisition|
After reading Chapter 3, you should be more familiar with the five stages of oral English language acquisition as they have been identified and discussed in detail. While the order of stages is sequential, the amount of time students spend at each stage can range from a few weeks (silent period) to several years (intermediate fluency). Watch and analyze the required video segment, Stages of Language Development (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site., along with Table 3.2 in your text. As a beginning teacher, you and your peers might have difficulty identifying the “next step” you need to take in order to move a student to the next level of English proficiency. What are the challenges faced by teachers in moving children from one level to the next? Discuss the synergizing of teacher- student responsibilities in moving through the levels of language acquisition. As students progress through the five stages, what are some of the things teachers can do to assist students in this process? What are some of the things students should do to increase their own language mastery and inform teachers of some of the needs they may have?
Week 2 – Assignment
Assessment and Placement of English Language Learners
After reading Chapter 4, write a two- to three-page Reflection Paper addressing the following items:
· Explain the purpose assessment serves when placing English language learners in appropriate educational programming.
· There are several challenges that emerge as we assess English language learners. Describe two of those challenges.
· Identify and defend solutions to the challenges you described.
· Must be two to three double-spaced pages in length, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the
· Must include a title page with the following:
· Title of paper
· Student’s name
· Course name and number
· Instructor’s name
· Date submitted
· Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
· Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
· Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
· Must use at least two scholarly sources (e.g., teacher resource book, journal article, professional website) in addition to the course text.
· Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined.
· Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined.