Week 7 DiscussionCOLLAPSEOverall Rating:
“High Altitude Adaptation, Co-evolution, and Bergmann’s Rule”
This week is all about evolution. For your primary post, respond to one of the following topics. Also, be sure to reply to at least one fellow student on any topic.
: High Altitude Adaptation. In the recorded interview (1)*, Emilia Huerta-Sanchez describes some research her team conducted. Watch the video, then address the following questions:
- (a) What data did they collect, who did they collect it from, and what were they looking for?
- (b) Which gene was implicated as a gene associated with high altitude adaptation, and what does it do?
- (c) Why do they think that the high incidence of this gene in populations who live at high altitudes is due to natural selection?
Week 6 DiscussionCOLLAPSEOverall Rating
“CRISPR, Human Gene Editing, and Esvelt’s Regret”
This week you are exploring how emerging DNA technologies impact our society. For your primary post, respond to one of the following three topics and be sure to answer each of the questions. Also, please reply to at least one fellow student on any topic.
: Jennifer Doudna on CRISPR. View the NBC News story about CRISPR (1)*, including an interview with its co-discoverer, Jennifer Doudna. Then, address the following questions:
- (a) What applications of CRISPR look particularly promising for improving human well-being?
- (b) What sort of ethical issues have arisen or are likely to arise with the deployment of CRISPR?