Week 5 DiscussionCOLLAPSEOverall Rating:
“Apoptosis, Crossover, and Tumor-suppressor genes”
This week’s discussion is focused mechanisms that cells use to keep cell division under control, to prevent cancer, and to function well. For your primary post, respond to one of the following three topics. Also, please reply to at least one fellow student on any topic.
: Apoptosis. Watch the Khan Academy video about apoptosis (1)*, then answer the following questions in your own words:
- (a) What is the difference between apoptosis and necrosis?
- (b) What is the role of apoptosis in the normal, healthy development of animals?
Topic 2 [article]: Transcriptomes. The complete set of all DNA in a cell is called the genome. The complete set of all the mRNA in a cell is called the transcriptome. Read the following article about the transcriptome (1)*, then address the following:
- (a) What does the transcriptome tell us that we can’t get from the genome?
- (b) Explain how this concept relates to our lesson on gene expression from Chapter 7.
References (in Strayer Writing Standards format).
- Associated Press, May 20, 2010. Scientists make synthetic cell using manmade DNA., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyAOepIU6uo
- Newsy Science, March 25, 2016. Synthetic life has been streamlined and is ready to be put to work., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saaWTiQie0M
- National Human Genome Research Institute, August 27, 2015, Transcriptome, https://www.genome.gov/13014330/transcriptome-fact-sheet/