HMWK 1 Pharmacology BIO 107
1) Paracelsus is known for what statement
2) Define Pharmacology
3) What are the advantages of prescription drugs
What are the Disadvantages
4) What are the advantages of Over-the-Counter Drugs?
What are the disadvantages?
5) What did the The Biologics Control Act of 1902 mandate?
6) What did the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906 mandate?
7) What did the Sherley Amendment of 1912 mandate?
8) What did the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (1938) and amendments mandate?
9) Why is thalidomide significant in the history of the FDA? Name the Doctor involved.
10) What is the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
11) Define the four phases of clinical drug research
Phase I: Pharmacokinetic Study
Phase II: Dose Ranging in Patients
Phase III: Efficacy Study in Patients
Review of new drug application (NDA)
Phase IV: Postmarketing surveillance
12) What is Preclinical Investigation?
13) How are oral Generic Drugs tested?
14) Define Addiction
15) Define Dependence
16) Define Physical dependence
17) Define Psychologically dependent
18) Why are drugs placed on schedules?
19) Define each schedule
20) What does the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
21) What are the Five Rights used as the basis of safe delivery of medications
22) List common abbreviations used to convey drug dosing information
23) Which dosage forms cannot be crushed
24) What are the disadvantages/advantages of oral administration
25) What are the disadvantages/advantages of the sublingual route of administration
26) What are the disadvantages/advantages of using a locally acting drugs
27) What are the disadvantages/advantages of Parenteral route of administration
28) Define ADME
29) Define diffusion
30) What determines whether or not drugs should be taken on an empty stomach? Provide a detailed answer.
31) What determines whether or not drugs can pass through a membrane?
32) Describe enzyme induction in drug metabolism
33) What is first pass metabolism?
34) How does binding to plasma proteins affect the pharmacokinetics of a drug?
35) What is the therapeutic range of a drug, what is the therapeutic index?
36) What is the half life of a drug?
37) What is a Loading Dose?
38) What does a drug do to a receptor that functions as a enzyme
39) What does a drug do to a receptor that is coupled to a G-protein
40) What does a drug do to a receptor that is coupled to an ion channel
41) What is cAMP?
42) What is different about steroid receptors
43) How does receptor occupancy relate to efficacy
44) Compare and contrast potency and efficacy
45) Define Agonist and Antagonist
46) What are the ED50 & LD50
47) Define Therapeutic Index