CHEM. 107 – GENERAL CHEMISTRY I
Show calculations where needed to get full credit.
1) Taken by itself, the fact that 8.0 g of oxygen and 1.0 g of hydrogen combine to give 9.0 g of water demonstrates what law?
2) Wherever it is found, water always contains oxygen and hydrogen in the mass ratio of 8 to 1. Taken by itself, this fact demonstrates what law?
3) A reaction consumes 5.0 g of A and 6.0 g of B. How many grams of C and D should be obtained?
1A + 3B 2C + 4D
4) The ratio of the mass of oxygen that combines with 1.0 g of hydrogen in water to the mass of oxygen that combines with 1.0 g of hydrogen in hydrogen peroxide is 1:2. Taken by itself, this fact demonstrates what natural law?
5) Which one of the following pairs of substances illustrates the Law of Multiple Proportions?
A) O3, O2 B) D2O, H2O C) SiO2, Sb2O3 D) KCl, MgCl2 E) PCl3, PCl5
6) An iron-56 nucleus contains
A) 56 protons and 26 neutrons. B) 30 protons and 26 neutrons. C) 26 protons and 26 neutrons.
D) 56 protons and 56 neutrons. E) 26 protons and 30 neutrons.
7) An atom containing 34 protons, 43 neutrons, and 34 electrons would have the symbol:
|A) 77Se B) 77Ir C) 77Tc D) 43Se E) 43Tc
8) An 56Fe2+ particle contains
A) 28 protons, 28 neutrons and 26 electrons. B) 26 protons, 30 neutrons and 24 electrons.
C) 26 protons, 26 neutrons and 26 electrons. D) 58 protons, 58 neutrons and 56 electrons.
|E) 54 protons, 56 neutrons and 52 electrons.
9) How many neutrons are in an atom of 18O?
10) How many protons are in an atom of carbon-13?
11) Which of the following pairs of atoms represent isotopes?
|A) N, 14C B) 12C, 14C C) 77Se, 19F D) 1H, 18O 14
12) The nucleus of an atom contains:
13) Which pair of symbols below represents isotopes?
|E) Br, 35Cl 79|
|A) 16O,16N B) 16O,17O C) H, He D) He, He+||E) 13C,14N|
14) Whose name is associated with the invention of the periodic table?
15) A column of the Periodic Table is called a
16) Which of the following is a metalloid?
A) S B) Ga C) Sn D) In E) Sb
17) Which of the following is a nonmetal?
A) Ca B) Br C) Fe D) Sb E) Ho
18) Which one of the following elements does not exist as a diatomic molecule?
A) H B) N C) O D) F E) B
19) Which of the following is not a binary molecular compound?
A) HI B) CO C) NO D) KBr E) N2O4
20) Which of the following is the correct formula for iron (III) oxide?
A) Fe3O B) FeO3 C) F(OH)3 D) Fe2O3 E) Fe3O2
21) Which is incorrectly named?
A) NaOH sodium hydroxide B) H2CO3 carbonic acid C) H2SO3 sulfurous acid D) H3PO4 phosphoric acid E) HIO hypoiodic acid
22) Which formula could not be that of an alkane?
A) CH4 B) C3H8 C) C6H10 D) C8H18 E) C10H22
23) Predict the product formed when calcium, Ca, combines with arsenic, As.
|24) Which formula below represents that of an alkane?|
|A) C4H4 B) C2H2
25) Which name is incorrect?
|C) C2H6O D) C7H6O2||E) C5H12|
|A) MgS magnesium sulfide||B) FeCl3 iron (III) chloride||C) Ca3N2 calcium nitride|
|D) Li2O dilithium oxide||E) HBr hydrogen bromide|
26) What is the name of the following binary compound MgCl2?
27) What is the name of the following binary compound Al2O3?
28) What is the name of the following binary compound N2O?
29) The mass ratio of calcium to oxygen in calcium oxide is 2.505:1. What mass of calcium oxide will form when 3.64 grams of calcium is completely converted to calcium oxide?
30) What is the mass (in amu) of an atom if it contains 9 neutrons, 11 protons, and 13 electrons?
31) How many neutrons are present in an atom of mass 37.8, if it contains 18 protons?
32) There are two isotopes of Element X. Their percent abundances and atomic masses are:
X-15, 66.6% X-16, 33.4%
Calculate the weighted average atomic mass in amu.
33) What is the formula for a compound containing fluorine and potassium?
|34) How many carbon atoms are present in cyclo butane?
35) Which of the following is not an alkane?
|A) C3H6 B) C3H8 C) C8H18 D) C5H12||E) C10H22|
36) Which of the following is an alkane?
A) C10H22 B) C10H22O C) C10H22O10 D) C10H20 E) C10H18
37) Two atoms with the same atomic number but different mass numbers are called:
38) How many electrons are in an element containing 9 neutrons and 11 protons?
39) How many protons are in an atom containing 6 neutrons with a mass number of 19 u?
40) How many ions of bromide will combine with one ion of aluminum?
41) The elements found on the left side of the periodic table tend to ______ electrons.
A) gain B) lose C) keep D) share
42) A metal and a nonmetal react to form ________ compound.
A) a molecular B) a mixed C) an empirical D) an ionic
43) Positive ions are called:
44) Compounds composed only of carbon and hydrogen are called:
45) The elements located in Group VIIA (Group 17) on the Periodic Table are called:
46) Acids produce _____ ions.
A) OH-1 B) OH+1 C) H+1 D) H-1
47) Which of the formulas below does not represent a compound that actually exists?
A) CaCO3 B) H2O2 C) KMnO4 D) Na2PO3
48) NaOCl is named:
49) LiNO3 is named:
50) HIO4 is named: