Chapter 16 summarizes 5 policy case studies on energy policy and climate change. Choose one of these case studies and briefly summarize the goals of the project, the methods used to achieve those goals, and stakeholders that are part of the project or affected by the project. Finally, argue how this project impacted or might impact industry or business in the region or country.
This essay question is open-ended. The textbook descriptions and analysis is brief, so feel free to use information learned from previous chapters, your experience, previous studies, or outside sources to support your argument about the project’s impact or potential impact to industry and business.
1) Explain the five levels of influence that stabilize a society’s institutional framework, according to C E Ayres. (3)
2) What is the general purpose of conspicuous behavior, and how has conspicuous behavior changed over time? What consequence for societies results from people’s tendency towards conspicuous behavior? (3)
3) How is the ceremonial-instrumental dichotomy of institutions reflected within companies? What follows for the relation of businesses and society in general? (3)
4) How does Marx’s understanding of economy and society differ from the equilibrium perspective of the classical economists? (2)
5) Briefly explain, which are the main inherent weaknesses of capitalist systems according to Marx? (4)
6) Where is the imbalance of power rooted in a capitalist system in a Marxist view? How does power expand beyond the economic sphere? (3)
7) What is the role of government in the Marxist view? (1)
8) How is the concept of exploitation explained in the Marxist system? (2)
9) Galbraith points out possible weaknesses of the Marxist analytical system. Explain two of these. (3)
10) Give an economic example for the fallacy of composition. Describe the fallacy of composition in general terms first. (3)
11) Outline Keynes’ explanation for persistent involuntary unemployment. (3)