Questions 1 to 20: Select the best answer to each question. Note that a question and its answers may be split across a page
break, so be sure that you have seen the entire question and all the answers before choosing an answer.
1. _______ management theory suggests we should encourage team building and listen to new ideas.
A. Organizational development
C. Management as discipline
2. _______ theory works to increase the health of work processes, communication, and shared goals.
A. Management as discipline
D. Organizational development
3. _______ supported simplification and decentralization, with emphasis on quality improvement.
4. _______ consists of determining whether plans are being carried out and progress is being made toward
5. Resource allocator is one of the _______ roles.
6. All other things being equal, the difference between a good supervisor and a poor supervisor is better
A. organizational rules.
D. managerial skills.
7. Which of the following is not one of a manager’s four areas of responsibility?
A. Maintaining good relationships with other managers
B. Speaking one’s mind always
C. Being a competent subordinate
D. Being a good boss
8. When a manager serves as a liaison between different departments, he or she is acting in a/an _______
9. Positional authority is based on
A. qualities of the manager.
B. authority of superior over subordinate.
C. laws and procedures.
D. the ability to direct complex processes.
10. A manager can delegate most duties except
A. writing policies.
B. evaluating employees.
11. The acceptance theory holds that managerial authority depends on four conditions. Which of the
following is not one of the conditions?
A. Employees must think the manager’s directives are fair.
B. Employees must think the directive is in keeping with organizational objectives.
C. Employees must understand what the manager wants.
D. Employees must be able to comply with the directives.
12. _______ is/are vested in the organizational position and not the individual manager.
C. Managerial functions
13. Which of the following is not one of the Katz skills?
A. Human relations skills
B. Technical skills
C. Budgeting skills
D. Conceptual skills
14. _______ first developed systems theory.
15. The supervisor’s job is to do which of the following?
A. Control employees’ work to improve efficiency.
B. Help employees fulfill their needs for recognition, achievement, and satisfaction.
C. Ensure employees achieve the organization’s objectives at the expense of their own.
D. Prevent employees from forming alliances, as they might conflict with the organization’s goals.
16. Which two entities served as models for management in the Industrial Revolution?
A. Churches and the military
B. Government and banks
C. Hospitals and churches
D. Military and government
17. The _______ of management theory holds that employees are creative and competent, and want
A. classical school
B. human relations movement
C. management as discipline school
D. human resources school
18. In a _______ study, work is divided into its most fundamental elements, which are studied separately
and in relation to one another.
19. Chaos theory suggests that organizations
A. prefer instability.
B. tend toward simplicity.
C. seek structure.
D. resist planning.
End of exam