Discussion Board 5
Prompt: Choose one of the five special senses (olfaction, gustation, vision, hearing, or equilibrium).
Apply what you have learned in Hands On Lab: Senses to design an enhancement for the special sense you have chosen. Your enhancement may be biological or technological, but you must do research and base it on scientific fact. What does your enhancement do and how does it work?
Part 1: Initial Post (Worth up to 50 points)
· You will need to use at least 3 reputable scientific references to support your post (not including your textbook). Reputable sources= peer reviewed scientific journal articles, accredited websites, or books. Google, Wikipedia, etc. are not acceptable sources.
· Your information must be credible, accurate, and well supported by evidence. The best sources of information are the research journals and the books as well as webpages maintained by professional societies and organizations. Search for articles and academic material should start with the electronic databases of libraries such as FTCC’s Paul H. Thompson Library (opens new window), PubMed (opens new window) or other such resources. When in doubt about material, use CARS checklist (opens new window) to see if it can be used in discussions and writings.
· You must cite all sources. Citation format must be MLA or APA (Visit the Purdue Owl Writing Lab (opens new window) for instructions on proper formatting)
· 10pts= The required number of sources are provided (minimum of 3, not including textbook). All sources used for quotes, statistics, and facts are credible and cited correctly.
· 7pts= Fewer than required number of sources are provided. Most sources used for quotes, statistics, and facts are credible and cited correctly.
· 5pts= Only 1 or 2 sources are provided. Not all sources used are credible and not all are cited correctly.
· 0pts= Sources are not cited at all, are not credible, and/or are not cited correctly.
· Length/ Grammar/ Spelling = 10pts
· 10pts= Post is of required length (250-500 words). Author makes fewer than 2 errors in grammar or spelling that distract the reader from the content.
· 7pts= Post is at least one half of the required length. Author makes 2-3 errors in grammar or spelling that distract the reader from the content.
· 5pts= Post is about one fourth of the required length. Author makes 4-5 errors in grammar or spelling that distract the reader from the content.
· Responses= 50pts
· 50pts= A minimum of two responses are used and sufficient detail is used (150-200 words). Comments are thoughtful, reflective, and respectful of other’s postings.
· 30pts= One response is used which consists of less than 100 words. Comments are not reflective of the topic or other student’s posting.
· 20pts= One response is used and/or shows a minimum effort in reading and understanding other student’s post. (e.g. “I agree with Bill”)
· 0pts= No responses.