You are the Health Information Officer at a large hospital. You have learned a significant information technology failure or breach has occurred within your hospital. Using the Internet or the Strayer University library database, identify other health care organizations or healthcare providers that have recently had a significant information technology failure or breach. Write a report to your staff, notifying them of the failure or breach, who such failures or breaches have affected similar organizations, and how those organizations resolved the issue(s).
Write a four to five (4-5) page report for your staff in which you:
- Outline four (4) key factors contributing to the other organizations’ HIMS failures or breaches.
- Analyze three (3) ways the HIMS failures impacted the organizations’ operations and patient information protection, privacy, or personal safety.
- Diagnose the leadership teams’ reactions to the failures. Analyze whether the leadership teams took sufficient measures to address various stakeholder groups impacted. Next, consider whether the other organizations had sufficient resources in place to prevent these occurrences. If not, identify where most of the failures occurred.
- Suggest three (3) outcomes for the facility and state and explain whether you agree with the overall verdict or violation.
- Recommend at least three (3) best practices your hospital can adopt to avoid such HIMS failures or breaches in the future. Provide support for these recommendations.
- Explain one (1) current government requirement requiring all healthcare organizations to ensure health care and patient information is secure and information breaches and technology failures are minimized.
- Use at least four (4) current (2015-2019), quality resources in this assignment. The Strayer University Library is a great resource to locate current, quality resources. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or SWS format. Use proper grammar, spelling, and sentence syntax. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the assignment title, your name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment length.
- At a minimum, provide these headings within your report: summary statement, background information, and recommendations.