- BIOL 110 Worksheet 2
1. Explain the difference between organic and inorganic molecules.
2. What type of chemical bonds do carbon atoms usually form?
3. Explain why carbon can form chemical bonds with so many elements.
4. Define and explain functional groups as they pertain to organic chemistry. Give an example of a functional group.
5. Define an isomer.
6. List the major biomolecules and identify the ones that are polymers.
7. Define monosaccharide, disaccharides and polysaccharides and identify their functions.
8. Identify four different types of lipids and their functions.
9. Explain why phospholipids are essential to organisms.
10. Define a protein and identify and discuss its functions.
11. Is a peptide bond polar or nonpolar and how does this affect the shape of the molecule?
12. Identify and explain the levels of structure in a protein.
13. Explain how the shape of a protein molecules can affect its function.
14. What is the function of nucleic acids?
15. Identify and discuss the components of a nucleotide.
16. Explain complementary base pairings that occur between nucleic acids.
17. What are molecules that form the backbone of a DNA and RNA molecule?
18. What type of reactions are responsible for forming DNA and RNA molecules?
19. Explain the difference between pyrimidine and purine bases.
20. Explain why Adenosine Triphosphate is a good carrier of energy for cells.
21. What is the cell theory?
22. Identify the major distinction between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells.
23. Explain the endosymbiotic theory.
24. Define and discuss the function and value of cell organelles.
25. How does the nucleus communicate with the rest of a cell?
26. Identify the organelles associated with energy conversion.
27. What is the function of vesicles in eukaryotic cells
28. Explain how the endomembrane system functions and the organelles involved.
29. Explain the purpose and components of the cytoskeleton.
30. Describe and explain the difference between rough and smooth ER including the molecules produced.