oncepts in Community and Public Health – Epidemiology and Communicable Diseases
Grand Canyon University
In a written paper of 1,200-1,500 words, apply the concepts of epidemiology and nursing research to a communicable disease.
Communicable Disease Selection
Choose one communicable disease from the following list:
5. Hepatitis B
Epidemiology Paper Requirements
Include the following in your assignment:
1. Description of the communicable disease (causes, symptoms, mode of transmission, complications, treatment) and the demographic of interest (mortality, morbidity, incidence, and prevalence).
2. Describe the determinants of health and explain how those factors contribute to the development of this disease.
3. Discuss the epidemiologic triangle as it relates to the communicable disease you have selected. Include the host factors, agent factors (presence or absence), and environmental factors. (The textbook describes each element of the epidemiologic triangle).
4. Explain the role of the community health nurse (case finding, reporting, data collecting, data analysis, and follow-up).
5. Identify at least one national agency or organization that addresses the communicable disease chosen and describe how the organization(s) contributes to resolving or reducing the impact of disease.
A minimum of three references is required.
Refer to “Communicable Disease Chain.”
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
A 37 y/o black female, presents to the ER with tachypnea, and acute shortness of breath with audible wheezing. She complained of chest tightness and a constant cough. A physical exam revealed the following: HR 110, RR 40 with signs of accessory muscle use. Ausculation revealed decreased breath sounds with inspiratory and expiratory wheezing and pt was coughing up small amounts of white sputum. SaO2 was 93% on room air. An arterial blood gas (ABG) was ordered with the following results: pH 7.5, PaCO2 27, PaO2 75
Based on the above symptoms what other assessments, tests or procedures would the MD order or perform to help diagnosis the problem?
What results would you expect to find and why?
Based on your results what is the cause and pathology?
What are the patient’s risk factors?