After reading materials about evolution and about antibiotic and pesticide resistance in the text, the Course Materials, the AIU Online Library and / or the Internet, answer the following.
- Select and describe one example of antibiotic resistance or pesticide resistance. Be specific in your choice.
- Describe the background for your choice of resistance. Include details about the disease or pest and the established control strategies. How have we used antibiotics (to treat a particular disease), or pesticides (to protect from a pest); and how has this changed?
- Explain how the resistant trait evolved based on principles of natural selection and evolution of a trait at the population level.
- For your specific example, what are the consequences of resistance in terms of human health or crop loss / damage?
- What steps can be taken to prevent or slow down the evolution of antibiotic or pesticide resistance? Do you think we will succeed in doing so? Why or why not?
Provide references in APA format. This includes a reference list and in-text citations for references used throughout the assignment.
In your own words, please post a response to the Discussion Board and comment on two other postings. You will be graded on the quality of your postings.For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials. Please refer to the following.
External Web links:
- Unit 4: Understanding Evolution
- Unit 4: Observed Instance of Speciation
- Unit 4: University of California Museum of Paleontology