35. The endosperm of a Conifer seed is:
a) Haploid (n).
b) Diploid (2n).
c) Triploid (3n).
d) Tetraploid (4n).
36. Which statement is not true of a seed?
a) It contains an embryonic sporophyte plant.
b) Endosperm provides nutrition to the developing embryo, hopefully until the embryo can photosynthesize for itself.
c) Seed coats protect the embryo and endosperm.
d) Seeds are collected by many animals, and help in the spread of seed plants.
e) All plants produce seeds.
37. In the Anthophyta, the plant seed coat is 2n, and the embryo is 2n. Are they genetically identical?
38. Which of the following is the female reproductive organ in a flower?
39. If a plant has both male and female reproductive organs it is:
40. Ovules are found within what part of a flower?
41. If a plant has netted veins in its leaf, four stamens in its flower, and a taproot, it is probably in what class of flowering plants?
a) Monocotyledonae (Monocots).
b) Dicotyledonae (Dicots).
42. Which Plant Division has seeds with a 3n endosperm due to double fertilization?
43. Which Plant Division uses pollinators like bees, butterflies, moths, ants, beetles, hummingbirds, and bats?
44. How many seeds develop from each ovule?
45. Which of the following is not a fruit?
46. Which animal phylum is characterized by a lack of symmetry (asymmetrical), and a “skeleton” composed of spicules and sometimes a protein called spongin?
47. Corals, sea anemones, and jellyfish are members of which phylum?
48. A jellyfish has what type of body form?
49. Which of the following lacks a digestive tract?
a) A shark.
b) A tapeworm.
c) A snail.
d) An earthworm.
50. The parasitic worms, Trichinella, Enterobius (pinworms), and Ascaris are all members of what animal phylum?
51. Which statement is not true of a tapeworm?
a) The scolex has suckers and hooks that attach the worm to the intestinal lining.
b) It is in the Phylum Platyhelminthes.
c) It is more closely related to an earthworm than it is to a fluke (trematode).
d) Proglottids are reproductive units.
e) To rid oneself of a tapeworm the scolex must be destroyed or dislodged and evacuated from the intestine.
52. Members of what animal phylum lack segmentation and have a radula, mantle, visceral mass, and muscular foot?
53. Which term best describes a crab or lobster?
54. Which statement is not true of endothermic animals?
a) They regulate body temperature through behavioral mechanisms–moving into the sun or shade as needed.
b) They are considered “warm blooded”.
c) They regulate their body temperature by physiological mechanisms–shivering, sweat, etc.
d) Humans and other mammals are endothermic.
55. Which of the following is not in the phylum Chordata?
56. Members of which animal phylum have a true coelom (body cavity)?
57. Which of the following is not in the phylum Arthropoda?
58. Insects belong to which animal Phylum?
59. To which of the following is a salamander most closely related?
60. Vertebrates are most closely related to:
b) Tunicates/Sea squirts.
61. What is not true of deuterostomates?
a) The mouth forms from the blastopore.
c) Open digestive system.
e) Mark e if all statements are true.
62. What is a snake’s closest relative?
63. Which of the following is not considered a Chelicerate?
64. Which statement is not true?
a) Birds and mammals are ectothermic.
b) Australia separated from Pangaea before true placentals (eutherians) evolved.
c) Dogs, cats, and bears are all members of the Order Carnivora.
d) Bats are members of the Order Chiroptera.
65. Which statement is not true?
a) Fish, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and mammals are all members of the Subphylum Vertebrata.
b) Reptiles, birds, and some mammals produce amniote eggs.
c) Reptiles are better adapted for life on land than amphibians.
d) Whales are members of the mammalian Order Cetacea.
e) Mark e if all statements are true.
1. Consider the following hypothetical population and compute the statistical measures below: #births = 50,000; #deaths = 10,000; #immigrants = 5,000; #emigrants = 20,000; mid-year population = 1,000,000. Show formulas and all relevant work. (12pts)
|Adjusted (True) Growth Rate =|
|Adjusted (True) Doubling Time =|