Human Population Growth Essay
Assignment 2: Human Population Growth and the Environment
Post your assignment to the Submissions Area for grading by the instructor by the due date assigned. The minimum length for this assignment is 1,500 words. Be sure to check your Turnitin report for your post and to make corrections before the deadline of 11:59 pm Mountain Time of the due date to avoid lack of originality problems in your work.
Describe the historical pattern of growth of the worldwide human population since our origin. Include in this historic overview the changes that have happened technologically, medically, culturally and nutritionally to result in major population changes over time. Relate the growth of the human population to our ecological footprint and explain the idea of limits to population growth known as the carrying capacity. Relative to carrying capacity, what may result from unbridled continued growth of our population? How does the size of the human population contribute to environmental degradation? Why must we take the human population size into account when we attempt to develop environmental restoration projects?
- In Chapter 8, we learn about Mendel and his experiments that led to the Laws of Inheritance. After reading this chapter, summarize the following in your own words:
- Difference between phenotype and genotype and how they are related.
- How does a heterozygous organisms differ from a homozygous organism in terms of the alleles they contribute to the population?
- Provide your best explanation for the law of segregation in 1-2 sentences.
- Understanding evolutionary relationships is an important element to understanding why organisms are placed in similar groups. In this step, you will be searching for a phylogenetic tree online, and making some observations related to the characteristics that group those organisms. You should use Chapter 12.1 as a guide. Here are the steps to follow for this section:
- Pick a group of organisms that you would like to find a phylogenetic tree for from the following list: Plants, animals, vertebrates or invertebrates
- In the google search bar, search for the following “plants (or whichever you pick), phylogenetic tree).
- Click on “Images” below the Google search bar. You should see several trees that pop up. Find one that contains some characters (physical descriptions) so you can make some conclusions regarding the organisms.
- Provide the following in your response:
- 1 picture of the phylogenetic tree you found.
- Write a summary of the characters or traits that are responsible for grouping organisms. Include an assessment of which organisms in the group are more closely related, as well as anything interesting or odd you found about the evolutionary relationships of the organisms.