H04 Anatomy & Physiology I
Directions: Be sure to save an electronic copy of your answer before submitting it to Ashworth College for grading. Unless otherwise stated, answer in complete sentences, and be sure to use correct English, spelling and grammar. Sources must be cited in APA format. Your response should be four (4) double-spaced pages; refer to the “Assignment Format” page located on the Course Home page for specific format requirements.
After completing this assignment you will be able to:
· Determine the differences between the different disease classifications.
· Understand the differences between signs and symptoms.
· Understand epidemiology.
· Understand the relationship between disease and homeostasis.
Part A: What class of disease do you feel currently poses the largest health threat?
1. Thoroughly describe why you feel this way. Provide two (2) supporting facts.
2. How has the impact of this disease changed in the last 50 years? Provide two (2) supporting facts.
Part B: From that class of diseases, choose one disease and answer the following questions:
a. What causes the disease?
b. What are the signs of the disease?
c. What are the symptoms of the disease?
d. How is it diagnosed?
2. Can the disease be prevented? If so, how?
a. What treatment options are available? Describe two (2) options.
b. What is the prognosis for the patient? Provide one (1) supporting fact.
4. What do epidemiology studies of that disease show? Provide one (1) example.
5. What effect does this disease have on the body’s homeostasis? Provide one (1) supporting fact.
In our online lecture we include a quote by E. O. Wilson, “The one process now going on that will take millions of years to correct is the loss of genetic and species diversity by the destruction of natural habitats. This is the folly our descendants are least likely to forgive us.”
Throughout Earth’s history, we have had long periods of innovation and radiation of new species which have been interrupted periodically by five major extinction events that eliminated large percentages of the life on Earth. The last of these appears to have involved a collision with a large asteroid resulting in the loss of the dinosaurs at the end of the Cretaceous. Each of these events has been followed by a new period of radiation of new species and innovation.
As Wilson states, we are now in the midst of a sixth major extinction event that has been brought on by the actions of humans.
Describe the common pattern of alternating extinctions and radiations. Consider Wilson’s statement. What evidence can you find to support or refute that statement? Do you agree with Wilson? Explain why you do or don’t agree and present the evidence supporting your opinion.
1200 word minimun
Must be APA Formatted
and have Reference section