- Use the following classifications to determine which organism is least related out of the three. Explain your rationale.
|Table 2: Classifications|
|Classification Level||American Green Tree Frog||European Fire- Bellied Toad||Eastern Newt|
- How has DNA sequencing affected the science of classifying organisms?
- You are on vacation and see an organism that you do not recognize. Discuss what possible steps you can take to classify it.
Exercise 1: Dichotomous Key Practice
|Table 3: Dichotomous Key Results|
- What do you notice about the options of each step as they go from number one up?
- How does your answer from Question 1 relate to the Linnaean classification system?
Exercise 2: Classification of Organisms
Data Tables and Post-Lab Assessment
Table 2: Key Characteristics of Some Organisms
|Defined Nucleus||Motile||Cell Wall||Photosynthesis||Unicellular|
|Figure 4:Exercise 2 – Classification of Organisms Flow Chart|
- Did this series of questions correctly organize each organism? Why or why not?
- What additional questions would you ask to further categorize the items within the kingdoms (Hint: think about other organisms in each of the kingdoms and what makes them different than the examples used here)?
- What questions would you have asked instead of the ones that you answered above when classifying the organisms?