6 PARTS BOILOGY HOMEWORK.PLEASE READ THE CHAPTERS AND ADDITIONAL READINGS ATTACEHD AND DO EACH PARTS AS REQUIRED.
PART1:READ CHAPT 7 Case A (ITS QUESTIONS ARE ON PAGE 151).Please answer the questions
PART2:The Spotlight ON PAGE 88 IS ONE of the most interesting because it was ORIGINALLY decided with a psychologist in mind but has been applied to genetics, medicine and HIV. Read page 88 and answer the questions attached
PART3: The topic covered in this chapter is VERY controversial. One of the problems that people see in biotechnology is the changing of genomes (of plants, animals and viruses too) Make a chart of the pluses (ADVANTAGES) and minuses (DISADVANTAGES) of GMOs.
PART4: Recently a gene patenting case case came before the US supreme Court. Look it up and list the following: what was the reason for the case; who won the case; how might this affect future science?
PART5: rDNA is actually simple as shown on page 149. The scissors are only a metaphor for restriction enzymes that cut the DNA in certain areas.
PART6: In this assignment imagine a rDNA organism (plant, virus, bacteria or animal) that you would like to be developed (you can use your imagination…Draw it and tell how it would work. Then name it and write a plan to sell it.
LACTASE -LACTOSE ARTICLE
- What is the percent lactose content in humans? How about in Pinnipedia (sea lions, walruses etc.)?
- Which tissue in humans is lactase found? What is the function of the enzyme?
- All people are born with lactose tolerance but some lose the ability as adults, so what is intolerance? What are the symptoms?
- Most of the world’s population is intolerant to lactose as adults. Which geographical ethnic groups are not able to tolerate milk as adults? What percent of the population is this?
- When is it that the authors hypothesize that the genetic mutation that led to lactose tolerance or persistence might have occurred?