50 All living things *indirectly* get their food from…
B. Particle spin
C. Only chemosynthesis
51. What kinds of organisms perform cellular respiration?
A. Animals only
B. Plants only
C. All of them
D. Crustaceans only
52. The initial reactions in photosynthesis are known collectively as…
B. The light reactions
C. The Muller-Cooper reactions
D. The dark reactions
E. The Calvin pathway
53. The (blanks) of photosynthesis are the (blanks) of cellular respiration.
A. Pigments, products
B. Electrons, protons
C. Nucleotides, nitrogen bases
D. Products, reactants
E. Reactants, products
53. An orange carrot…
A. Refracts yellow light
B. Reflects all wavelengths of light except orange
C. Transmits blue and green light
D. Absorbs all wavelengths of light except orange
E. Absorbs violet light, but reflects red and green light
54. Photophosphorylation involves ATP
A. Production during the light reaction of photosynthesis
B. Breakdown during the light reaction of photosynthesis
C. Formation during the dark reaction of photosynthesis
D. Breakdown during the dark reaction of photosynthesis
55. The net equation for photosynthesis produces
A. Water and carbon dioxide
B. Water and oxygen
C. Carbohydrate and carbon dioxide
D. Carbohydrate and oxygen
56. As far as the light reaction of photosynthesis is concerned, what is the role of oxygen?
A. It is a necessary reactant.
B. It is a waste product.
C. It is a product that is then utilized in the dark reaction.
D. It is not involved as a product or a reactant.
57. The essential initial role of light in initiating the light reaction of photosynthesis is to produce
A. Free neutrons
B. Free electrons
C. Free oxygen
58. True or False question
The proper way to focus a microscope is to start with the highest power objective (100X) first.
59. Resolving power is the ability to discern two objects as being distinct objects.
60. Which of the Statements below is false? A. Resolving power is also influenced by the NA of the objective. B. The air space between the slide and lens can be replaced by a drop of immersion oil which has a different refractive index than air. C. The use of oil immersion is an absolute necessity when using the 40X objective. D. When using the 40X and 100X objectives, only use the fine focus.
61. During which stage of mitosis is the nuclear membrane broken into fragments? A. Metaphase B. Early Prophase C. Anaphase D. Late Prophase 62. Equatorial plate of the mitotic spindle is formed during the _______. A. Anaphase B. Metaphase C. Late prophase D. Early prophase
63. Mitotic cell division is initiated in the _______. A. Centromere B. Centriole C. Mucleus D. Mitotic spindle 64. During which stage of mitosis do nucleoli reappear? A. Anaphase B. Early Prophase C. Telophase D. Late Prophase 65. The number of chromosomes in a human cell is _______. A. 2 B. 4 C. 23 D. 46 66. The resting stage of the cell is known as the _______. A. Interphase B. Telophase C. Anaphase D. Prophase 67. During which stage of mitosis do chromatids separate to form two sets of daughter chromosomes? A. Anaphase B. Telophase C. Prophase D. Interphase 68. Genetic information is transferred from parent to daughter cells through the _______. A. Mitochondria B. Endoplasmic reticulum C. Centrioles D. Nucleus 69. Which stage of mitosis is depicted in the diagram below? A. Metaphase B. Telophase C. Anaphase D. Prophase 70. Which stage of mitosis is depicted in the diagram below? A. Metaphase B. Anaphase C. Telophase D. Prophase
71. Which stage of mitosis is depicted in the diagram below? A. Anaphase B. Metaphase C. Prophase D. Telophase 72. Which of the following is the longest stage of mitosis? A. Telophase B. Metaphase C. Prophase D. Anaphase 73. During which stage of mitosis does longitudinal splitting of the chromosomes occur? A. Prophase B. Anaphase C. Telophase D. Metaphase
74. The interphase and mitosis together constitute the cell cycle. A. True B. False 75. The nuclear membrane is formed around the newly-formed sets of daughter chromosomes during the telophase. A. True B. False 76. During mitosis, loosely arranged strands of chromosomes become coiled, shortened and distinct during the metaphase. A. True B. False
77. Mendel’s second principle states that the inheritance of one characteristic will not affect the inheritance of another characteristic. What is the principle called?
C. Crossing over
D. Independent assortment
78. Which statement describes how two organisms may show the same trait, yet have different genotypes for that phenotype?
A. One is homozygous dominant and the other is heterozygous.
B. One is homozygous dominant and the other is homozygous recessive.
C. Both are heterozygous for the dominant trait
D. Both are homozygous for the dominant trait.
79. Sexual reproduction contributes to
A. Less genetic variation within a population.
B. More identical genotypes within a population.
C. Greater genetic variation within a population.
D. Greater mutation rate within a population.
80. Which of the following genotypes has the potential for the greatest genetic variation in the offspring?
Homozygous dominant crossed with homozygous recessive.
Heterozygous crossed with homozygous recessive.
Homozygous dominant crossed with homozygous dominant.
Heterozygous crossed with another heterozygous individual.
81. In pea plants, yellow pea pods are dominant to green pea pods and round-shaped pods are dominant to wrinkled pods. How do the offspring of two plants that are heterozygous for yellow, round pods result in four different phenotypes? Is it the result of
A. Random alignment of chromosomes during meiosis.
B. Random fertilization during sexual reproduction.
C. Crossing over between chromosomes during meiosis.
D. Mutation in the DNA of the gametes.