- Explain the scientific method and how it’s used to reveal an accurate understanding of living things; distinguish information resulting from scientific inquiry from that based on anecdotes and deceptive, non-scientific studies.
- Describe the chemistry of living things and relate biochemicals and their reactions to energy transformations between organisms and their environments; explain the conversion of light energy to chemical energy resulting in the connection between producers and consumers.
- Describe the variation of cell structures among organisms and contrast them with non-living particles such as viruses; explain how cell anatomy and function impacts the organism as a whole.
- Explain the various ways that cells reproduce and how they relate to DNA replication and inheritance; relate molecular, chromosomal, and cellular activities to genetic variation and evolutionary change.
- Explain the process of gene expression and regulation and how gene products result in the characteristics of organisms; describe how these genetic processes contribute to adaptive change from generation to generation.
- Understand commonly used biotechnologies, recognize their practical applications and ability to reveal evolutionary relationships and change; recognize the responsibility associated with the correct use and interpretation of these technologies.
Genetics and Reproduction
Create at least a 350-word blog post in Microsoft® Word in response to the following question:
Female copperhead snakes have the ability to reproduce both sexually and asexually. In your opinion, which method is best for the species in general and why?
Develop your opinion and include the following in your post:
*Discuss asexual and sexual reproduction in terms of genetic diversity. How is meiosis related to genetic diversity?
*Use one of Gregor Mendel’s ideas to support your opinion.
Cite your sources according to APA guidelines. See the Center for Writing Excellence for more information on using APA style.
Genetics and Inheritance
Review information on genetic disorders on the National Human Genome Research Institute Site: http://www.genome.gov/.
Choose a genetic disorder that can be inherited from a parent. Write a 525- to 700-word paper on the genetic disorder. Include the following in your paper:
Summarize the Chromosomal Theory of Inheritance and how chromosomal abnormalities can lead to genetic disorders.
*Describe the relationship between chromosomes and DNA.
*Identify an example of a genetic disorder and describe the genetic disorder including symptoms, impact on quality of life, and life expectancy. How common is this disorder? Does it run in specific ethnic bloodlines?
Format your paper according to APA guidelines. Review the Academic Writing Guidelines video and the Center for Writing Excellence for additional guidance on academic writing and APA style.