The purpose of the technical paper is to become more familiar with material properties in a specific application. The technical paper also demonstrates your ability to find useful information doing literature research and to construct a report that is coherent and integrated. The technical paper will build upon course material; its technical difficulty and content should be comparable to Callister/Rethwisch textbook.
Basic format and section headings
Abstract 1- short paragraph
Introduction (information about the subject matter)
(You can make comparisons with other materials; explain why these properties are significant?)
Summary (short paragraph)
Single spaced with 1-inch margins.
10-12 inch font.
6 pages; content is important.
Include figures and tables. All figures and tables MUST have appropriate captions.
All references must be appropriately cited throughout the text and listed using reference numbers cited at end of paper in references.
|Student Name||Paper Topic||MSE 227-Section||Fall 2018|
MSE 227 Term Paper Grading criteria
1. Format: paper includes an abstract, introduction, materials, properties, comparisons, applications, processing, testing and discussion.
2. The paper does not include chunks of text; section headings (listed above) are included.
3. Appropriate Technical content; the paper is not an infomercial with superficial content.
4. Organization of paper; coherent sections, integrated paper that includes figures and tables; the paper is not a rough draft done at the last minute.
5. The paper contains too many quotes, “copy/paste”, not student’s work: similarity
6. Quality of research – multiple useful sources
7. Figures and tables are included, relevant to topic, formatted properly (numbered and captioned);
8. Figures and tables are discussed in text.
9. References list is proper formatted, consistent format, and cited throughout text using numbers that correspond to reference list; 5 sources minimum, not including course textbook, not all websites.
10. Approved topic, submission of term paper
12. Interesting or informative
13. Conscientious effort is apparent in final result
14. Focus of paper is on materials and engineering.
15. Quality of photos is good; photos are clear, not blurry and add to the paper content; they are not just filling space.
16. Paper is single spaced