1. In the following diagram, draw what a cell with 1 chromosome would look like in the stages of meiosis. Prophase 1 is filled in for you and includes replicated homologous chromosomes; the black replicated chromosome is from the reproducing male’s mom and the grey replicated chromosome is from dad.
2. Maternal meiosis 2 nondisjunction results in 18-20% of trisomy 21 humans. In the following diagram, draw what could happen during meiosis 2 to cause Down syndrome. Prophase 1 is filled in with the replicated chromosomes for chromosome 21; don’t worry about drawing the other chromosomes.
3. People with Down syndrome can reproduce, and frequently their children do not have Down syndrome. Fill in the following diagram and explain why this could be. In the diagram, Prophase 1 shows the black replicated chromosomes 21 were inherited from the mother and the gray replicated chromosome 21 from the father; don’t worry about the other chromosomes.
Topic: Homelessness Among Teenagers
Mental Health Nursing
Social Justice Paper Criteria/guidelines
You are to choose one issue connected with social justice issues in mental health and
present the topic to the professor for approval. In the issue paper, you are to state the
issue, and in light of your research (using books, articles, interviews, internet resources,
and artifacts of practice) discuss it in the context of society and the psychiatric consumer and in the context of psychiatric mental health nursing practice. Your issue paper should answer the following seven questions:
• What is the scope of the social justice issue?
• What is the current situation?
• What are the societal impacts and consequences of the issue if it is not addressed?
• What long term changes must be made to improve and/or eliminate the situation?
• What current actions can be taken to lessen immediate impacts?
• What programmatic or corrective actions could produce these changes?
• Who else is addressing this issue in your organization? Why or If no one else is
addressing it, Why not?
The paper will be evaluated according to its focus, coherence, depth, discernment,
evaluation of different points of view, relevance, use of sources, and written quality. It
should not be a mere report on the subject matter, such as one might be able to find in
an encyclopedia, but rather demonstrate assimilation of and critical engagement with the
issue as it relates to the conditions of social justice.
references in standard APA format, an application appendix and other appendices as
The final form of your issue paper will contain five basic elements in this order:
1. Title Page
2. Outline Page
3. Text of the Paper
5. Application Appendix
Constructing a Working Outline:
Based on your working thesis, list the primary reasons the thesis is true. These ideas
may come from your own thoughts and observations and must be supported by the
research conducted in step 2.
It is not enough to simply assert an issue. Place supporting evidence and reasons that
the issue is connected to social justice under the appropriate primary reasons. Here is
the basic format of an outline.
1. Working Thesis
2. First Primary Reason
2.1 First Supporting Reason
2.1.1 Reason, Evidence, or Example
2.1.2 Reason, Evidence, or Example
2.2 Second Supporting Reason
2.2.1 Reason, Evidence, or Example
3. Second Primary Reason
3.1 First Supporting Reason
3.1.1 Reason, Evidence, or Example
3.1.2 Reason, Evidence, or Example
Of course your actual outline may have more than two primary reasons and the number
of supporting reasons and evidence will vary. Normally the outline will change during the
course of writing your paper. Sometimes you will discover have to develop a more nuanced way of phrasing your thesis. This is to be expected.