TEXTBOOK: BIOLOGY SCIENCE FOR LIFE: 3RD. EDITION
BY: COLLEEN BELK AND VIRGINIA BORDEN
Instructions: Please select the best answer for the multiple choice questions and only provide the answer. For questions that require a Punnett’s square please provide solution to the problem.
1. Genes are segments of that code for synthesis.
a. chromosomes; proteins
b. chromosomes; DNA
c. genes; polysaccharide
d. chromosomes; amino acids
2. What percentage of cancers are estimated to result from mutations that are not inherited?
a. less than 1%
b. 20 %
3. Which of the following does not contain condensed chromosomes that have been duplicated?
a. a cell during the G1 phase of interphase
b. a cell during prophase
c. a cell during metaphase
d. a cell immediately preceding anaphase
4. Which of the following is a good example of an allele?
a. a segment if DNA that codes for brown eye color
b. a section of DNA that determines eye color
c. a sex chromosome that determines whether you are male or female
d. a DNA sequence that produces a protein
5. Whereas cloning is commonly used in studies of bacteria, Dolly the sheep was the only animal ever cloned.
6. If a women is homozygous dominant for a certain trait (genotype TT) and her husband is heterozygous for the trait (genotype Tt), what are the chances that their first child would be heterozygous? Please include the Punnett’ s square.
7. Which of the following pairs of genotypes represent a dihybrid cross?
a. AaBBCc x aabbcc
b. AaBb x aaBB
c. Aa x aa
8. All normal human cells, except gametes, contain chromosome(s).
d. over 100
9. If a women has sex-linked recessive trait, then all of her sons will have trait as well.
10. A dysfunctional gene may affect one type of cell in the body, but not other types, because
a. not all genes possessed by an individual are found in all cell types in the body.
b. cells express only the genes required for their particular activities.
c. some cells are able to locate and repair defective genes.
d. some cells may not have the dysfunctional gene.
11. Each cell that enters the cell cycle contains sister chromatids
12. When two different alleles of a gene are both fully expressed in a heterozygote, but neither allele is dominant over the other, it is called
a. Incomplete dominance
c. dihybrid dominance
13. If a man with one dominant gene for Huntington’s disease marries a women who has no genes for the disease, what is the probability that their child will have the disease?
14. What are the chances that two parents who are heterozygous dominant for two traits of interest would have a child that is dominant for one trait, but not both traits?
a. 1 in 16
b. 6 in 16
c. 3 in 16
d. 9 in 16
15. As demonstrated in SCID patients, gene therapy is now a routine and safe, means to treat genetic defects in people.
16. Brown eyes in humans are dominant to blue eyes. A brown-eyed man, whose mother was blue-eyed, marries a brown-eyed woman whose father had blue eyes. What is the probability that this couple will have a blue-eyed child?
Show your answers by drawing a Punnett’s square.
17. In humans, being a tongue roller (R) is dominant over non-roller (r). A man who is a non-roller marries a woman who is heterozygous for tongue rolling.
Father’s phenotype Father’s genotype
Mother’s phenotype Mother’s genotype
What is the probability of this couple having a child who is a tongue roller? Show your answers by drawing a Punnett’s square.
18. In guinea pigs, short hair, S, is dominant to long hair, s. Show your answers by drawing a Punnett’s square.
a. One guinea pig is Ss and one is ss.
Expected number of offspring:
Short hair (SS or Ss)
Long hair (ss)
b. Both guinea pigs are heterozygous for short hair. Expected number of offspring:
19. What phenotypic ratio of offspring should be expected from the cross AaBb x AAbb? Show your answers by drawing a Punnett’s square.
20. Lauren, who has blood type AB, marries Sal who has type B blood but whose mother has type O.
a. List the genotypes of Lauren, Sal and Sal’s mother.
b. What are the percent possibilities for the blood type of their offspring.