MGMT 340 Week 4 Course Project Homework & Quiz
MGMT 340 Week 4 Project: Systems Analysis SDLC Phase 2 Package
Petrie’s Electronics Case, Chapter 7
2. Again, review the DFDs you developed for the Petrie’s Electronics case (or those given to you by your instructor). Use these DFDs to identify the attributes of each of the six entities listed in this case plus any additional entities identified in your answer to
Question 1. Write an unambiguous definition for each attribute. Then, redraw PE Figure 7-1 by placing the six (and additional) entities in this case on the diagram along with their associated attributes
3. Using your answer to Question 2, designate which attribute or attributes form the identifier for each entity type. Explain why you chose each identifier
4. Using your answer to
Question 3, draw the relationships between entity types needed by the system. Remember, a relationship is needed only if the system wants data about associated entity instances. Give a meaningful name to each relationship. Specify cardinalities for each relationship and explain how you decided on each minimum and maximum cardinality at each end of each relationship. State any assumptions you made if the Petrie’s Electronics cases you have read so far and the answers to questions in these cases do not provide the evidence to justify the cardinalities you choose. Redraw your final E-R diagram in Microsoft Visio
MGMT 340 Week 4 Problems/Exercises
5. Consider the E-R diagram in Figure 7-20. Based on this E-R diagram, answer the following questions:
a. How many EMPLOYEES can work on a project?
b. What is the degree of the Used_on relationship?
c. Do any associative entities appear in this diagram? If so, name them.
d. How else could the attribute Skill be modeled?
e. What attributes might be attached to the Works_on relationship?
f. Could TOOL be modeled as an associative entity? Why or why not?
16. The owner of two pizza parlors located in adjacent towns wants to computerize and integrate sales transactions and inventory management within and between both stores. The point-of-sale component must be easy to use and flexible enough to accommodate a variety of pricing strategies and coupons. The inventory management, which will be linked to the point-of-sale component, must also be easy to use and fast. The systems at each store need to be linked so that sales and inventory levels can be determined instantly for each store and for both stores combined. The owner can allocate $40,000 for hardware and $20,000 for software and must have the new system operational in three months. Training must be short and easy. Briefly describe three alternative systems for this situation and explain how each would meet the requirements and constraints. Are the requirements and constraints realistic? Why or why not?
17. Compare the alternative systems from Problem and Exercise 16 using the weighted approach demonstrated in Figure 7-19. Which system would you recommend? Why? Was the approach taken in this and Problem and Exercise 16 useful even for this relatively small system? Why or why not?
MGMT 340 Week 4 : Structuring Systems Requirements – Quiz
- Question : (TCO 5)Conceptual data modeling is typically done in parallel with other requirements analysis and structuring steps during
2. Question : (TCO 5)On an entity-relationship diagram, a rectangle represents a(n)
3. Question : (TCO 5) Vehicle identification number, color, weight, and horsepower best exemplify
4. Question : (TCO 5) An attribute that can have more than one value for each entity instance is referred to as
5. Question : (TCO 5) The number of entity types that participate in a relationship refers to
6. Question : (TCO 5) A simultaneous relationship among instances of three entity types is a
7. Question : (TCO 5) A relationship that the data modeler chooses to model as an entity type best defines
8. Question : (TCO 6) During which of the following steps will you bring the current phase to a close, prepare a report and presentation to management concerning continuation of the project, and get ready to move the project into design?
9. Question : (TCO 6) Which of the following is a true statement regarding midrange alternatives?
10. Question : (TCO 6) A good number of alternatives to generate is