APS-295: ASSOCIATE CAPSTONE
The Ideation module focuses on the process to come up with new and innovative ideas that have market potential and value. The material consists of roles in the process, types of methods/approaches available, and advantages of using a structured process to create new ideas. The module concludes with filtering and advancing ideas through the stages of technology development.
Module 2 covers the following topics:
· Ideation process
· Ideation techniques
· Ideation objective
· Strengths and weaknesses
· Roles and stakeholders
· Formal ideation sessions
· Idea generation creation
· Idea generation screening
· Technology innovation
· Alternative solutions and concepts
· Technical specifications
After successfully completing Module 2, you should be able to:
· MO2.1 Identify the ideation process and available techniques for new technology development.
· MO2.2 Describe the objective, strengths and weaknesses of the process.
· MO2.3 Discuss the roles and stakeholders in formal ideation sessions and gatherings.
· MO2.4 Describe how ideas are created and screened through the idea generation process.
· MO2.5 Identify the short and long-term benefits of a structured ideation process for technology innovation.
· MO2.6 Summarize alternative solutions and concepts to validate selected ideas.
· MO2.7 Explain the advancement of ideas by defining feature detailed technical specifications.
The following links may enhance your study or help with writing assignments:
· Ideation Process & Techniques: http://strategyn.com/ideation/
· Ideation Process – Introduction to Basic I-Triz
· Typical Ideation Process
· Idea Generation Techniques (this is audio only)
· Ideation Techniques for Business, Marketing and Product/Service Creation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN4Y_b1e9-U
· Where Good Ideas Come From
· Innovation Goverance CheckList
· New Concept Ideation
· Idea Generation and the Quality of the Best Idea
· Ideation 101: http://www.slideshare.net/souravbasu1/ideation-process-16801314
Module 2 has two activities. Please consult the Course Calendar for the due dates.
Discussion Forum 2
In Discussion Forum 2, post your response to the following discussion questions. Your initial posting should include three or more resources, which must be referenced using APA style.
Please review all of the other postings in the forum and make a minimum of four comments on the responses of at least two other classmates. Make substantial and quality comments as stated in the Discussion Forums section of the course Syllabus area.
· Fundamentally speaking, ideation is the process of coming up with ideas to produce new technologies and/or applications in the marketplace. Describe the objective, advantages and disadvantages of the ideation process as well as the benefits of using a structured ideation process for technology innovation. As part of your post explain when it should and should not be used.
Written Assignment 2
The final project of this course will be built on written assignments 2 to 5. From Written Assignment 2, each written assignment is structured to build upon the previous ones. The final project which is also Written Assignment 6 will combine and integrate the four written assignments into one final paper. More details are available in Module 6.
Final Project Part 1
The focus on the first part of this project is to select a new innovative technology or application concept (something new and not currently on the market) for a specific technology or application that will be developed and ultimately marketed. The new technology or application concept selected for this paper will be used as focus for the remaining written assignments. You will write a 2–3 page (350 words per page) paper in APA format addressing the following topics below. You should also include as part of this paper any acknowledgements and resources used (e.g., websites, textbooks, articles). Each written assignment should include three or more references.
· Describe the ideation process (e.g. generating, filtering and validating ideas) to come up with a new specific technology or application
· Alternative solutions or concepts considered through the process
· Overview of the technology or application concept selected
Copyright © 2016 by Thomas Edison State University. All rights reserved.