Accounting Project : A Financial Statement Analysis
A Comparative Analysis of Celgene Corporation and Gilead Sciences, Inc.
Below is the link for the financial statements for Celgene Corporation for the fiscal year ending 2015.
When you arrive at this website, please do the following.
First, under View, select Annual Filings using the drop-down arrow labeled All Filings and then select 2016 using the drop-down arrow labeled Year,
You should select the 10k dated 2/11/2016 and choose to download in PDF, HTML, or Excel format. The PDF format is the best format for searching.
Below is the link for the financial statements for Gilead Sciences, Inc. for the fiscal year ending 2015.
First, select 2016 under the Year filter using the drop-down arrow labeled All Years and then select Annual filings under the Groupings filter using the drop-down arrow labeled All Forms. Press the large Search button to access the requested annual filing for 2016.
You should select the 10k dated 2/24/2016, and choose to download it in PDF, Word, or Excel format. The PDF format is the best format for searching.
A sample project template is available for download from the Course Resources page’s Course-Specific Resources section. The sample project compares the ratio performance of Tootsie Roll and Hershey using the 2014 financial statements of Tootsie Roll and Hershey provided at their websites.
Using the financial statements for Celgene Corporation and Gilead Sciences, Inc., respectively, you will calculate and compare the financial ratios listed further down this document for the fiscal year ending 2015, and prepare your comments about the two companies’ performances based on your ratio calculations.
For the Final Submission:
Your final Excel workbook submission should contain the following. You cannot use any other software but Excel to complete this project.
1. A Completed Worksheet Title Page tab, which is really a cover sheet with your name, the course, the date, your instructor’s name, and the title for the project.
2. A Completed Worksheet Profiles tab which contains a one-paragraph description regarding each company with information about their history, what products they sell, where they are located, and so forth.
3. All 16 ratios for each company with the supporting calculations and commentary on your Worksheet Ratio tab. Supporting calculations must be shown either as a formula or as text typed into a different cell. The ratios are listed further down this document. Your comments for each ratio should include more than just a definition of the ratio. You should focus on interpreting each ratio number for each company and support your comments with the numbers found in the ratios. You need to specifically state which company performed better for each ratio.
4. The Summary and Conclusions Worksheet tab is an overall comparison of how each company compares in terms of the major category of ratios. A nice way to conclude is to state which company you think is the better investment and why.
5. The Bibliography Worksheet tab must contain at least your textbook as a reference. Any other information that you use to profile the companies should also be cited as a reference.
Required Ratios for Final Project Submission
1. Earnings per Share of Common Stock
2. Current Ratio
3. Gross (Profit) Margin Percentage
4. Rate of Return (Net Profit Margin) on Sales
5. Inventory Turnover
6. Days’ Inventory Outstanding (DIO)
7. Accounts Receivable Turnover
8. Days’ Sales Outstanding (DSO)
9. Asset Turnover
10. Rate of Return on Total Assets (ROA)
11. Debt Ratio
12. Times-Interest-Earned Ratio
13. Dividend Yield [For the purposes of this ratio, use Yahoo Finance to look up current dividend per share and stock price; just note the date that you looked up this information.]
14. Rate of Return on Common Stockholders’ Equity (ROE)
15. Free cash flow
16. Price-Earnings Ratio (Multiple) [For the purpose of this ratio, look up the market price per share as of December 31, 2015 for Celgene Corporation and for Gilead Sciences, Inc..]
The Excel files uploaded in the Dropboxes should not include any unnecessary numbers or information (such as previous years’ ratios, ratios that were not specifically asked for in the project, etc.).
Create an Excel spreadsheet or use the project template to show your computations for the first 10 ratios listed above. Supporting calculations must be shown either as a formula or as text typed into a different cell. If you plan on creating your own spreadsheet, please follow the format provided in the Tootsie Roll and Hershey template file.
1 | Course Project: A Financial Statement Analysis